Track and field competes at Mt. SAC Relays for weekend

Senior Lucy Van Dalen ran a 15:23:54 in the 5,000m on Saturday at the Mt. SAC (San Antonio College) Relays, a school record and the fifth fastest by a New Zealand woman ever. Stony Brook track and field continued its solid weekend on Sunday with big performances by sophomores Eric Speakman and Olivia Burne,   junior Lorraine McCarthy and senior Mary O’Connor at the Larry Ellis invitational hosted by Princeton University.

Van Dalen competed against the world’s elite on this weekend in the invitation-only meet. She finished fourth and broke the previous school record. She now has outdoor records in the 800m, 1,500m and 3,000m to go along with her title as the NCAA Indoor Champion in the mile event.

Speakman broke a school record at Princeton by running a 3:47.25 in the 1,500m. This time gives him the possibility of qualifying for the NCAA regional championships at the end of May, and he already qualifies for the IC4A.

Like Speakman, Burne also has a chance to make the regionals after her time of 4:25.49 in the 1,500m in her first meet of the outdoor season. This run was her personal best and qualifies her for the ECAC.

O’Connor and McCarthy also had solid performances in the meet. O’Connor finished third in the 800m with a time of 2.11.56. McCarthy had a personal best of 4:35.96 in the 1,500m, winning her section.

Next up for the Seawolves are the well known Penn Relays on April 26-29.