Stony Brook softball defeats Bryant University in doubleheader

After a disappointing step back on Tuesday with two loses to Rutgers University, the Stony Brook University softball team picked up the pieces and managed to pull out both games of a Thursday doubleheader against the Bryant University Bulldogs, winning the first game 3-2 and the second 6-5.

The two victories propel Stony Brook to a 29-11 record for the season.

Stony Brook took control of the first game early, scoring two runs off of four hits in the first inning against Bryant pitcher Britt Hart. The first runs of the game scored when senior infielder Lauren Maloney hit a double to left-center field, bringing home two Seawolves on second and third base. Stony Brook actually loaded the bases later in the inning, but Hart was able to work out of further trouble.

The Seawolves scored their final run of the game in the third inning when sophomore infielder Jessica Combs reached home on a throwing error by Bryant catcher Kendall Corder.

Bryant made the game close in the top of the fifth when Lindsay Martin hit a two-run home run, reducing the deficit for the Bulldogs down to one. However, that would be as close as Bryant got, as freshman pitcher Allison Cukrov shut down the final eight batters she faced in order, recording her 18th victory and adding another seven stikeouts to her season total of 154.

Senior outfielder Alyssa Hawley went 4-4 in the game, nearly half of Stony Brook’s 10 hits. She accumulated five hits and two stolen bases on the day, a doubleheader-high for her team.

The Seawolves got off to a fast start once again in the second game; they scored three runs in the first inning. Maloney drove in the first run with a single. Senior infielder Bernadette Tenuto and Combs hit singles of their own to score the next two runs.

With the score standing at 4-2 in favor of Stony Brook in the third inning, freshman catcher Sarah Androvich got her first collegiate hit, landing a single in right-center field, scoring two runs.

In the next two innings, however, Bryant tacked on three more runs, bringing themselves to within one run of Stony Brook’s total. Sophomore Christine Lucido, who started the game for the Seawolves, threw six innings and accumulated three strikeouts. Cukrov finished the game off in the seventh. The game was Lucido’s fifth win and Cukrov’s fourth save.

When Stony Brook next plays, it will once again be in conference play. The Seawolves will host the University of Maine for a three-game series, the first game of which will start at 1 p.m. on Saturday.