Tennis makes most of senior weekend

Both the Stony Brook men’s and women’s tennis squads enjoyed a successful Senior Weekend as they dominated St. Francis on Friday and then went to Quinnipiac on Saturday to the tune of back-to-back 7-0 victories at the University Courts.

With a beautiful weekend for sporting events, the Seawolves utilized the weather and home- court advantage to completely demolish their opponents.

In five singles matches, the men’s team could not be stopped, with sophomore Nikita Fomin’s taking the No. 1 match, and freshman Francis Bertrand’s following up with an equally impressive performance.

The women’s squad encountered similar success against St. Francis, as it also held its opponents scoreless, not dropping a single point to the visitors.

After cruising to an easy doubles point, junior Nini Lagvilava and freshman Polina Movchan combined to lose just one set in singles play.

With a third straight victory, the men’s squad continues to bounce back to an 6-8 record, while the women’s squad notches another victory, bringing it to 8-6 on the season.

Saturday’s match against the Quinnipiac Bobcats had an added level of significance for the Seawolves as Senior Day honored five Stony Brook student athletes.

Two men’s squad athletes,  Roope Kailaheimo and Max Sztabholz, were honored, as well as three on the women’s squad, Katherin Hanson, Prerana Appineni and Salome Mkervalidze.

In women’s action, Lagvilava and Movchan won the deciding match in double’s play, giving the Seawolves the early point advantage on the Bobcats.

Stony Brook would take five straight singles victories to run away to a 6-1 victory against Quinnipiac to put it at 9-6 with just three games until the America East Championships.

The men continued to hammer their opponents on home court as they rolled past Quinnipiac with victories in every singles and doubles set on the afternoon.

Kailaheimo enjoyed Senior Day success in the No. 3 spot during singles play, as he went on to win both sets, 6-3 and 7-5.

Sztabholz came into his Senior Day singles match, and he did not disappoint, upholding the dominance the whole squad played to this weekend.

He did not lose a point or drop a game in straight sets en route to a 6-0, 6-0 mauling of his Quinnipiac opponent.