Women’s lacrosse has first conference loss

The Seawolves are no longer perfect in America East play.

After defeating Yale 12-8 last Wednesday in an out-of-conference game, Stony Brook suffered its first loss in conference play on Saturday, losing to Boston University 15-14.

Stony Brook now has an overall record of 11-4, including a 3-1 record in conference play, second in the America East standings behind Boston University.

Against Yale, junior Janine Hillier lead the way for the Seawolves with three goals and three assists, with junior Demmianne Cook adding four goals.

After Hillier and Yale’s Devon Rhodes exchanged tallies in the opening minutes, freshman Amber Kupres and sophomore Emily Mercier scored to make it 3-1, and Stony Brook would lead for the rest of the game.

Yale, however, would keep it close. Kerri Fleishhacker would make it 3-2, and after freshman Michelle Rubino and Cook both scored for Stony Brook to make it 5-2, Yale’s Jen DeVito scored the final two goals of the first half to make the score 5-4.

That was as close as Yale would get. Hillier and Rubino would score the first two goals of the second half to give Stony Brook a 7-4 lead, and Yale was unable to get to within two for the rest of the game.

Goalkeepers sophomore Frankie Caridi and junior Hannah Perruccio split time in net, with Caridi credited for the win.

Against Boston University, Stony Brook jumped out to a 4-0 lead within the first five minutes of the game, with goals from junior Claire Petersen (2), Hillier and Cook.

Boston would come back with a 5-1 run and tie the game at five with 13:25 left in the first half. Boston’s Hannah Frey scored three goals during this scoring outburst.

After Kupres and Boston’s Molly Swain exchanged goals, Boston would take its first lead of the game with a goal from Danielle Etrasco.

Rubino would score twice in the final two minutes to give Stony Brook an 8-7 lead at the half.

Etrasco and Hillier would

exchange free-position goals to start the second half, but the Terriers would go on a four-goal run to take a 12-9 lead.

Stony Brook would respond back with a four-goal run of its own to take back the lead, with goals from Rubino, Hillier, Cook and Petersen.

After Kupres and Boston’s Annie Stookesberry exchanged goals, Boston’s Kristen Mogavero tied the game at 14 with 4:28 left in the game.

Boston’s Mallory Collins scored the game-winner with 3:12 left in the game.

Despite the loss, Stony Brook clinched a spot in the America East Championship, qualifying for the tournament for the first time since 2007, and will play Albany next Saturday.

“This loss wasn’t just about today,” head coach Joe Spallina said in a press release. “We have work to do, and we will grow from this, get better and get another opportunity in the America East Tournament. Right now though, our focus turns to ourselves as we prep for Albany.”