Cyril Kattuppallil jumps from rugby to USG

Cyril Kattuppallil plans to meet a representative from each club and organization if elected, to ensure a sensible budget, he said.

“What I want to do is bring more money to the clubs,” he said, adding that there seems to be a sense of corruption that comes with the territory of entering the Undergraduate Student Government. “When they get in USG, they get power hungry, stop realizing why they’re in it for the first place.”

Kattuppallil has held various positions on the rugby team, including secretary, vice president and president, and he recently stepped down. In the past year, he said he has dealt with USG a lot through his rugby eboard positions.

He has also spoken with clubs and organizations about what USG can improve.

“What I’ve been hearing from clubs and representatives is that they don’t like the fact that USG is telling us how to spend their money,” he said. “I want to show them I trust them with that stuff.”

If elected, he said he would want to sit down with each club’s representative to discuss a way to find a reasonable budget.

“I don’t want to break it down, like sports or multicultural; you’re all equal in my eyes,” he said. From there, he can keep them informed of the process and keep them engaged with what both sides are doing.

He would also like to work on funding for events, as clubs have told him they can nt spend as much money but prices for events are going up.

“If the organizations have the ability to host awesome events, campus life would drastically increase,” Kattuppallil said. “This is everyone’s best four to fiev years of their life, we should make the most of it.”