Tips for Socializing in College

College can be an intimidating place when you first arrive. Just remember that all other freshmen are in the same boat as you. This means that everyone is equally anxious about meeting new friends and finding a group of people who they click with.

In first few weeks of each semester, social groups are formed, strengthened and expanded. It is important to meet a lot of people so you can maintain friendships with those who you really like. In college you may find that you maintain a much larger social circle than you did in high school. You will have many friends with many varied interests.

Meeting people in a new place can seem daunting, but here are some simple ideas on how to meet people in college that will help.

Meet people in your hall and on your floor. Use Move-In day to get familiar with as many people in your quad and hall as possible. During the first weeks of school make sure to introduce yourself to most, if not all of the people who live on your floor. Learn their names, where they are from, and what classes they plan to take. This is a great way to create a social circle.

Get to know your roommate. This step is the most obvious but remember that you will be living with this person and that having a good relationship with him or her will be an important part of your college experience. Meet your roommate’s friends, and find out what interests you share. A good relationship with your roommate is one of your best available sources of support, encouragement, and camraderie in a new environment.

Attend Stony Brook’s Orientation and Welcome activities, even if you expect them to be boring. Other attendees are likely to be just as bored as you are, but the activities are a great setting for starting conversations and even friendships. When you encounter the same people again in class or at meal times, you will already have something in common.
Attend the Student Involvement Fair on September 16th . Becoming a member of multiple clubs and intramural sports teams will bring you close to people who share your interests. There will probably be an athletic team or club on campus for every hobby or pastime you enjoy, but make sure you try new things as well.

Meet people in class, which is a great place to find those who have something in common with you. Don’t be afraid to participate right from the beginning, because you will be encouraging other people to do the same. Common classroom discussions can often turn into lasting friendships.

With a little courage, you can walk up to a person you do not know and introduce yourself. This might seem a little scary but you have a lot to gain.

The most important thing to remember is that you can meet new people anywhere. There are no rules or set activities or areas you have to be in to meet people. Remember though, do not be afraid of dropping social connections if you feel that others are not heading in the same direction as you.

You will find that college is a time of new experiences and adventures. The only solid rule to having a great social life and lots of fun in college is to get out there and make it happen.

Meet people you like, build connections that last for life, have a blast, and learn a lot about yourself on the way.