Men’s lacrosse dropped by St. John’s, 11-9

Following last Saturday’s 7-6 upset win against #20 Delaware, Stony Brook lost to St. John’s 11-9 at LaValle Stadium in a see-saw affair.

St. John’s, which was coming off of a near-upset against #6 Syracuse last Saturday, was lead by Kieran McArdle’s four goals, all scored in the second half.

“It was disappointing,” head coach Jim Nagle said. “St. John’s is a good team, we weren’t ready to beat them tonight, but we definitely had our opportunities to do it.”

Neither team held a lead of more then one goal for the whole game until St. John’s McArdle made the score 10-8 with 6:12 left in the fourth quarter, capitalizing off of a rebound that Stony Brook junior goalkeeper Sean Brady was unable to control.

“It kind of was trickling in front of the net, knocking in between guys’ feet,” said Brady, who made 14 saves in the game. “People were knocking it back and forth, it ended up in front of the crease, and the guy just scooped it up and put it in the net when I was on the ground.”

Stony Brook got back to within one with a goal from senior Robbie Campbell at the 4:21 mark, but McArdle would score again with 2:58 left in the game to give the Red Storm an insurance goal.

Senior Russ Bonanno lead the Seawolves with three goals and one assist, with junior Jeff Tundo adding two goals and one assist.

Stony Brook, now 1-4, will complete a two-game home-stand against Towson next Saturday on March 17 at 1:00 p.m.

“We don’t really have time to lick our wounds,” Nagle said. “We just have to lace it up and get better in the next three days.”