Women’s hoops season ends in America East conference tournament opener

It took a little over three months but the torturous women’s basketball season is finally over.

Everyone knew going into the season that the Lady Seawolves were in a rebuilding year. No longer with the services of senior Kristen Jeter, and adjusting to the new system of first year head coach Beth O’Boyle, everyone knew that the Seawolves were in for a tough season.

Finishing 4-26 overall, 1-15 in the America East, Stony Brook found itself at the bottom of the conference standings all season.

Thursday night’s game at Chase Arena in Hartford, Conn, seemed like a foregone conclusion, but the Seawolves made sure the end to their season did not come quietly. Pitted against the eighth seeded Maine Blackbears, the Seawolves took the game down to the wire, but lost the lead on a basket by Maine’s Samantha Baranowski with a little over a minute remaining in the game. Despite turning the ball over a season low three times and a 14-4 run to start the second half. the Seawolves could not stop the inevitable.

“We obviously didn’t get the result we were looking for but I’m proud of the way our team competed tonight,” said O’Boyle. “Give credit to Maine, they made a few more plays than we did down the stretch.”

In what proved to be her final game, senior Whitney Davis finished with a team high 14 points.

Coach O’Boyle will go back to the drawing board and try to put her team back on the winning track.