This week learn how to make: Thai Tuna Burgers

Smudges of dark ash rubbed on foreheads across campus; students in line for a juicy, meaty burger, sheepishly withdrawing with a shake of the head. Ash Wednesday, the day immediately following Mardi Gras, signifies the beginning of the 40 day period in which the Roman Catholic and many Protestant churches observe Lent. In times past this observance signified fasting, abstinence and other forms of self-denial, but today many people observe by giving up a favorite luxury or vice.

Deciding what to give up this year was akin to taking “Search for Life in the Universe” as my D.E.C. G—difficult and confusing. My first thought, since I was watching an awfully awkward episode of “Room Raiders” at the time, was to give up reality TV. But, then I really wanted to find out whose room got picked. My second idea was to give up beer, a favorite vice that I’ve found to be extremely hazardous to my spring diet. But, then what would I do on Tuesdays if I couldn’t go to Billie’s for dollar beers with my 10-cent wings? Eventually this thought process lead me to the luxury that I’d have to do without. No more wings for me, be they barbeque, buffalo, or hot.

As sad as I am to give up wings, I am partial to the tradition of having fish on Ash Wednesday and the four Fridays during Lent. I do love burgers and chicken—as my readers are well-aware — but there are dozens of different fish out there that can be prepared in hundreds of different ways. Long Island is filled with seafood and sushi restaurants, but don’t spend fourteen dollars on a tuna burger that you can easily make six servings of for the same price. This recipe for Thai Tuna Burgers from allrecipe.com will make you look forward to meatless Fridays.

1.     In a bowl, thoroughly mix minced tuna, bread crumbs, green onion, carrot, ginger, cilantro, sesame oil, ketchup, soy sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and egg. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2.    Preheat oven broiler.

3.  Form tuna mixture into 6 patties, and place in a broiler pan on top oven rack. Cook, uncovered, 4 minutes per side, or until easily flaked with a fork. Serve on hamburger buns with lettuce and tomato.