Track and field competes at the America East championships

The Stony Brook Track and Field teams competed at the America East conference indoor championships at Boston University this weekend.

The first day of events was Friday, and two school records were broken alongside the victory of the women’s distance medley relay (DMR).

Freshman Lamar Hayes recorded a 21.99 in the 200m dash, the best in his heat and an IC4A time, and freshman Terry Martin ran an 8.34 in the 60m hurdles.

The women’s DMR, composed of sophomores Olivia Burne and  Katie Manzi, junior Annie Keown and senior Lucy Van Dalen  won first place with a time of 11:45.67, which qualifies for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC).

The men’s DMR also had success. Sophomores Robert Taylor, Daniel Denis, Eric Speakman and senior Shamell Forbes worked together to take third place with an IC4A qualifying time of 9:59.54.

Senior LaQuashia Hall and sophomore Matt Granata also qualified for Saturday’s finals, each in the 500m dash.

On Saturday, Van Dalen struck again and won the mile and 3,000m, this time setting America East records. Her mile time of 4:36.43 was 0.47 seconds faster than her time at Yale and qualifies her for the NCAA championships. She also overcame her sister, Holly Van Dalen’s (’11), record for the 3,000m with a time of 9:17.35. Burne also ran the mile, securing fourth place with an ECAC qualifying time of 4:48.57.

Also running the 3,000m were Keown, junior Lorraine McCarthy and senior Patricia Barry, who ran times of  10:03.93, 9:50.32 and 9:51.38, respectively. The first two times gave the Seawolves some points to their overall score for the championships. Senior Carolina Cortes also scored for the Seawolves in the 1,000m with a time of 2:55.64. Senior Jillian Fauser did the same in the 800m with a time of 8:16.97.

For the men on Saturday, Speakman finished first in the 3,000m with a time of 8:16.97. Running IC4A qualifying times, Hayes finished fourth in the 200m dash finals with a time of 22:14, Granata scored seventh in the 500m with a time of 1:05.08 and Forbes earned fifth place in the 1,000m with a time of 2:29.89. The men’s 4×800 and 4×400 teams also ran qualifying times.

Ultimately coming on top for the championships were the University of Albany for the men and Boston University for the women, who won with 187.5 and 164 points, respectively. Stony Brook’s men and women each tallied 43 and 54 points, respectively.