Ice hockey sweeps Rhode Island

In an important two-game series with a playoff bye on the line, Stony Brook ended its regular season on a high note, sweeping Rhode Island by winning 3-2 on Friday and 6-4 on Saturday, extending its winning streak to four games.

“The guys just kept battling,” head coach Chris Garofalo said. “They’re playing with a lot of confidence.”

With the wins, Stony Brook maintained its hold on third place in the Eastern States Collegiate Hockey League standings with an 8-6-2 record, finishing five points ahead of Rhode Island.

By finishing third, Stony Brook will get a bye in the ESCHL playoffs.

“One less game to play is beneficial,” Garofalo said.

The ESCHL postseason is set to take place at West Chester next week, beginning with Rhode Island playing fifth-place Robert Morris on Friday, Feb. 17.

First place Delaware will play the winner of the Rhode Island-Robert Morris game at 5:15 p.m, following with Stony Brook’s playing host to West Chester University at 8 p.m. West Chester edged Stony Brook in the regular season series between the two teams, winning three of the four games and outscoring Stony Brook on an aggregate of 22-20.

“If we play the way we have played lately, I feel confident,” Garofalo said. “I never feel we never have a shot to win when we play them.”

The final Athletic Collegiate Hockey Association rankings are set to come out next Wednesday on Feb. 15.

In order to qualify for the national tournament, Stony Brook would need to be ranked at least 15th in the poll.

In the last ranking, which came out on Feb. 3, the team was ranked 17th in the country, which would leave the Seawolves on the outside looking in.

“I would say a 50-50 chance,” Garofalo said when it came to the team’s chances of being ranked high enough to get into the tournament.