Women’s basketball drops two games this week

Not even the band’s thunderous chant to Kanye West’s “Power” was enough to propel the Stony Brook women’s basketball team past a difficult University of Maryland Baltimore County opponent, as the Seawolves fell 63-51 in Pritchard Gymnasium Wednesday evening.

Senior guard Whitney Davis and junior forward Jessica Previlon led the Seawolves with 16 points a piece, shooting nearly 50 percent combined and thus providing the bulk of the offense for Stony Brook.  Senior Tamiel Murray also chipped in, dishing out seven assists in addition to eight rebounds.

Dropping their 11th straight game, the Seawolves fall to 4-21 on the season and 1-11 in America East conference play.

The UMBC Retrievers opened the game with a unanswered 13-0 run behind back to back wide open three-pointers from their guards.

Stony Brook was finally able to get on the board with a baseline jump shot from senior guard Misha Forsey, who was able to release just as the shot clock expired.

Despite UMBC powering out of the gates to an early double-digit lead, the Seawolves did not seem flustered and responded with perfect 5-5 shooting in the last six minutes to cut the Retriever’s lead to a mere five points at halftime.

An overzealous UMBC coach was hit with a technical foul in the waning seconds of the first half after giving the head referee an earful.

However, the Seawolves were unable to capitalize as time ran