Stony Brook student follows in path of sibling, becomes a cheerleader

Matt Schneyer is a junior at Stony Brook University. He is a health sciences major, studying nuclear medicine. He works at the Olive Garden. He is also a cheerleader.

Schneyer, 20, is the lone male on the Stony Brook squad. He started cheering for the Seawolves after transferring from Suffolk County Community College last fall.

At football and basketball games, he can be seen flipping, tumbling and hoisting girls into the air, as well as performing the cheers on the sideline.

Schneyer’s reason for being a cheerleader was a simple one: his older sister.

“My sister has been cheering her entire life, and she’s three years older than I am, so I grew up around it the entire time,” he said. “I don’t know, it just clicked for me.”

Schneyer has been cheering for a total of six years now. Although he did not cheer for his high school, Sachem East, he competed with an all-star team during those years instead.

An accomplished gymnast, Schneyer became very passionate when dismissing the commonly held idea that cheerleading is a “girl’s only” activity.

“Nothing in this world is simply just for one sex or another,” Schneyer said. “I think if [you’re] doing something you love — whether it is considered a girly sport or a manly sport — it doesn’t matter. You are still doing what you love to do and that’s all that matters.”

Head coach Lenee Passiglia is happy to have someone like Schneyer on the team.

“Matt is one of the most talented, driven and athletic male cheerleaders I’ve ever worked with. He is determined to put his best foot forward at all times, and dedicates so much time to Stony Brook’s cheer program,” Passiglia said. “He is awesome to work with both on the mat and off. I think he’ll definitely help in taking this program to the next level throughout his college cheering career.”