Easy, cheap and on-campus: Ideas for you and your sweetie

It is Valentine’s Day again.  People either love it, hate it or are forced to agonize over it.  No matter your view of Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14 is going to happen.  Regardless of whether or not you are spending this Tuesday single or taken, there are ways to make the best of it. Because Valentine’s Day falls on such an inconvenient day, some people might find it easier (and cheaper) to stay on-campus, and there are plenty of options available.  Just be advised that, if you are getting stuff for meal points and low prices, the “cheese factor” is going to be pretty high.

If you are going to be with your single friends, there are tons of things to do.  You could all go out and get ice cream from Kelly or Roth and watch “The Notebook,” wishing you could find a love as pure as Noah’s and Allie’s.  Of course, this is going to be incredibly depressing, but it is so cliché it might be fun to actually try.  On the flipside, you could always watch a horror movie.  The final “Saw” movie, “Scream 3” and “The Exorcist” are on Netflix.  Just because you are watching a horror movie does not mean you have to ditch the ice cream.

Tuesday is a pretty decent night for television.  “Cougar Town” returns this Valentine’s Day, so you and your friends could curl up with a nice glass of wine and watch the Cul-de-sac Crew reunite, regardless of whether you’ve missed the first two seasons or not.  “Glee” is also going to be having a Valentine’s Day episode as well.

If you want to skip the TV and movies thing, you could always go to the craft center for some arts and crafts action.  Sadly, campus is pretty dull this upcoming Tuesday.

For all you couples out there, there are a few cute little romantic things to do on campus.  You two could hit the Roth Café lobster dinner; they are taking reservations.  If you want to be stingy on meal points, you could always share a strawberry milkshake from Wendy’s.  If you’re feeling extra cheesy, order the spaghetti from CPK and split it, “Lady and the Tramp” style.

After dinner (or a milkshake), take a walk around Roth Pond.  It is actually kind of nice at night, when you cannot see how dirty it really is.

If you want to buy that special someone in your life some chocolate or flowers, you can use your campus cash at Wolfie’s Marketplace.

You could also get some sandwiches from the Union Deli or the Student Activities Center and take it to the Staller steps and make a little picnic out of it.

This is, obviously, by no means a comprehensive list.  This is really just to get your imagination going.  Even if you’re stuck at Stony Brook, there are still things to do.  Either way, make sure you spend it with the people you love.  I warned you it would be cheesy.