Aphrodite, aphrodisiacs and a thriving sexual appetite

Chocolate and red roses are unexciting and overdone. This does not mean, however, that it is okay to just send an e-Valentine to your love and be done with it — unless, that is, you want to be totally alone on Valentine’s Day.

Aphrodite was the Greek goddess of pleasure, joy, beauty, love and procreation; hence, the word aphrodisiacs. Aphrodisiacs are substances or qualities that may excite desire. According to the Cambridge World History of Food, aphrodisiacs were first sought out as a remedy for various sexual anxieties, including fears of inadequate performance. Not that anyone on this campus should be having such anxieties, but here are a few foods and recipes to ensure that your Valentine’s Day date goes smooth:

The aroma of almonds is said to induce passion in a female. The Food Network has a great recipe for Almond Kisses. Try a little baking with your love; these sugar cookies suffused with almond extract and sprinkled with chopped almonds will have the girls begging for more.

Basil also supposidly stimulates the sex drive; try with some with fresh mozzarella, tomato slices and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Garlic supposedly stirs sexual desire. Sautee minced garlic with olive oil and drizzle over linguine. If indulging in this spice, make sure both you and your partner have it, for obvious reasons —  garlic breath is less offensive when mutual.

I take back what I said about chocolate — it really never gets old. Theobromine, a substance in chocolate related to caffeine, is found to affect neurotransmitters. The effect is particularly potent when combined with a small glass of red wine. Incidentally, both are also full of antioxidants.

Ginger stimulates the circulatory system and gets your blood pumping. Try some fresh grated ginger with sushi.

Honey is a historic cure for sterility and impotence. Centuries ago, lovers drank mead, a draught brewed from fermented honey, on their honeymoon. For a modern twist, infuse homemade lemonade with honey and, if desired, mix with a drop of dark rum.

The scent and flavor of vanilla is believed to increase lust. Mix 2 tbsp. vanilla extract with ¼ cup powdered confectioner’s sugar and trickle over a bowl of ripened raspberries and sliced strawberries for a deliciously light dessert.

It’s said that Casanova ate 50 raw oysters every day for breakfast. Studies have linked zinc, a mineral that oysters are rich in, with increased sperm counts and also a rise in testosterone levels. This hormone is said to stimulate women’s sexual desire. This may be one reason why kissing is considered to be excellent foreplay; men’s saliva contains high amounts of testosterone.  However, watch out for food poisoning.

Of course, not many aphrodisiacs have been scientifically proven to increase sexual appetite; however, the power of suggestion may be very strong. As one last piece of advice, it should be noted that whipped cream rarely fails to lead to a good time. So kids, just remember to be safe — in the kitchen, I mean.