Men’s basketball triumphs over UMBC

In between five games on the road, all but one of them against America East Conference opponents, the Stony Brook University men’s basketball team had one game on home court against the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), and it made the most of it, winning by a score of 80-68.

Despite the victory, head coach Steve Pikiell and his players left the game with a sour taste, saying that they knew that Thursday night’s action was not their best performance and that there was room for improvement.

“It’s a win,” Pikiell said. “We didn’t play the way we’re capable of. We’ve got to play better in these next few days.”

It was a game that was too close for comfort for many in the sizable crowd that evening. UMBC (3-21, 2-10) was never able to truly pull away from the Seawolves (17-7, 12-1), but the Retrievers were clearly playing the stronger game close to the basket for the duration of the first half. UMBC outscored Stony Brook 18-8 in the paint right underneath the hoop.

“We didn’t make some shots that we usually make,” senior Dallis Joyner said. “We definately let them score a lot more in the paint than we usually do.”

However, the Seawolves were able to remain within striking distance and keep the score close or even sometimes even. Sophomore Anthony Jackson and junior Marcus Rouse in particular came off the bench and delivered some long shots, bringing a spurt of life to their team and to the crowd around them. They would have a combined 11 points for the half and 31 points overall.

“AJ and Rouse really gave us a life,” Pikiell said.

The two teams went into halftime with the Retrievers leading 35-34.

The game resumed in the second half without much of a different vibe from the first one. However, with the Seawolves down 43-38 with a little more than 15 minutes left, Jackson made a three point shot and Rouse hit a jumper that tied the score within the space of 33 seconds, tying the game.

“We’re not going to let this go two halves,” junior Tommy Brenton said about his team’s lackluster performance from the first half.

It was around this time that the Seawolves began to take off. The score was still tied at 47 with 11:15 left in the game when Stony Brook scored eight points in a row to take its first real lead.

But just like the Seawolves in the first act, the Retrievers were down but refused to be put away. They would remain within striking distance of their opponents until the finals minutes of the game.

As the clock winded down, it became apparent that Stony Brook was set to secure its 12th home victory in 12 games at Pritchard Gymnasium this season, but UMBC made the Seawolves play out every second, commiting numerous fouls to keep the game going.

But it would prove to be in vain. Stony Brook returned to its locker room with another victory.

The Seawolves will next play on Sunday at noon at the University of Vermont, a location which the players indicated would not feature the most welcoming crowd.

“I know the fans love me up there,” Brenton said with a laugh. “It’s going to be a great game.”