Seawolves Baseball Spilts with NYIT

Seawolves baseball had a double header against NYIT on Mar. 31, playing only seven innings in each game. They split with the NYIT Bears at the Seawolves’ first home game of the season. The chilly weather did not discourage fans from supporting their teams. Seawolves had trouble in the beginning of the first game. NYIT scored two runs in the third inning when a double was hit and brought in two runs. They scored again in the fourth from an RBI single. The Seawolves finally got started up in the fourth. Robert Dyer had a single that advanced two runners and Chris Cruz knocked them both in to score with a single. However, it wasn’t enough for the Seawolves and they fell 4-2 to the Bears.

Pitcher Gary Novakowski took the loss with nine strikeouts. He allowed five runs, only two of them were earned.

The second game turned out better for the Seawolves. Pitcher Jon Kalkau fought pitch for pitch with the NYIT pitcher, but came out on top for the win. The Seawolves struggled in the beginning of the game, but got started in the fourth inning when Steve Mazzurco hit a double, knocking in Michael Stephan for another run. Mazzurco later scored because of an error by NYIT. Kalkau had a strong fifth inning, striking out nine batters and only giving up two runs, where only one was earned. Marc Brown replaced Kalkau in the sixth, just before the Bears scored their first run. In the bottom of the ninth, the Bears kept the Seawolves on their toes when they loaded the bases. Matt Lyons came in and shut down the next three batters, striking one out and allowing no runs. The Seawolves battled hard and won the game with a score of 2-1. Brown had two strikeouts and allowed no runs. Mazzurco went 2-3 with one RBI.