Former Iowa star headlines Stony Brook’s recruiting class

For the last two seasons, Stony Brook has had junior Miguel Maysonet and senior Brock Jackolski rush for over 1,000 yards each.
    Despite the graduation of Jackolski, it looks like that streak might continue.
    Stony Brook officially announced the addition of former Iowa University sophomore running back Marcus Coker on Wednesday, landing arguably the highest-profile player in the program’s history.
    Last season for Iowa, Coker rushed for 1,384 yards and scored 15 touchdowns. He was second in the Big-10 in rushing yards, trailing only Heisman finalist Montee Ball.
    The six-foot, 230-pound Coker is expected to replace the production of the graduating Jackolski, who rushed for 1,418 yards last season, ninth overall in all of NCAA Division I FCS football.
    Because Coker is transferring from an FBS school to an FCS school, he will be eligible to play for the Seawolves next season.
    “We are excited that Marcus has decided to continue his education at Stony Brook University.  His ability and skill set will fit well in our offensive schemes,” head coach Chuck Priore said in a statement. “We’re excited to welcome him to the Stony Brook football family.”
    Coker was investigated but not charged in an alleged sexual assault incident.
    According to the police report, the alleged incident occurred a little after an hour after midnight on Oct. 28, 2011 at Coker’s residence. The victim, however, declined to press charges.
    Coker was also suspended for the Insight Bowl for violating the school’s code of conduct. It is unclear if the suspension was related to the alleged sexual assault incident. He subsequently left the school on Jan. 10.
    Shortly after leaving Iowa, Coker posted on his Facebook wall: “Welp so much for that. It was a good 2 years iowa..best 2 I could of asked for. Thanks again for the support. I really wish I could tell u guys wats goin on cuz its really ridiculous to b punished for somethin I didnt do. Id like to think [thank] the coaches and athletic staff for everything. Hawk for life.”
    Priore told Newsday that he did a background check on Coker before accepting him into the program.
    “After the research I did into the allegations, I was comfortable he would be somebody that would be a positive role model moving forward at Stony Brook University,” Priore said. “He’s a very good student in the classroom, a very reserved, quiet kid.”
    An astrophyics major at Iowa, according to the school’s official athletic website, Coker is  enrolled at Stony Brook and is expected to follow a similar academic track.
    While Coker will not be available for comment until spring practice in March, he said in a press release statement: “I’m very grateful to Coach Priore and Stony Brook University for this opportunity.  During this process, I’ve become aware of Stony Brook’s growing football program and outstanding academics. I’m excited for spring practice and the chance to help my teammates win a fourth straight Big South Championship.”
    In addition to Coker, the team also announced the signings of 10 other players, including freshman wide receiver Adrian Coxson.
    A transfer from Maryland, Coxson caught four passes for 90 yards and a touchdown as a red-shirt freshman last season.