Stony Brook ends Albany’s home streak with 76-69 win

Seawolves head coach Steve Pikiell loves to tout his team’s league-leading defense. But on Saturday night, it was once again the offense that took center stage as the Stony Brook men’s basketball team knocked off the Albany Great Danes, 76-69, at SEFCU Arena.

Following up on an 80-48 demolition of Binghamton on Wednesday night, the Seawolves kept the offense hot, using an efficient second half to power past the Great Danes, who were handed their first home loss of the season.

Senior Al Rapier picked up a double-double, scoring 10 points and grabbing 12 rebounds for the Seawolves, while sophomore Dave Coley led the team in scoring with 17 points.

Senior Bryan Dougher continued his personal hot streak as well, putting up 14 points for Stony Brook.

Stony Brook started off strong, taking a 16-9 lead after a 9-0 run punctuated by an Anthony Jackson three-pointer.  Jackson scored 11 points, and was 3-for-3 from three-point range.

Albany went on a 9-0 run, led by Gerardo Suero, who had seven of those points, including a three-point play at 6:52 to put the Great Danes back on top, 23-21. The Seawolves trailed by three at the half.

Coley’s efforts early in the second pushed Stony Brook back in front for good with a layup at the 16:58 mark.

Albany got back within two, but the Seawolves were able to maintain their distance, leading by as many as 11 with a little over two minutes to play. Stony Brook made enough free throws in the end to complete the victory and hang on to first place in the America East.

Stony Brook is now 10-1 in America East play, and holds a one-game lead over second-place Vermont. Boston University fell to 8-3 with a 68-67 loss to the Catamounts last week.

The Seawolves continue conference play on Monday night at New Hampshire (8-13, 3-7 AE). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. The game can be seen live on ESPN3.com.