Men’s Lacrosse: Defense Leads the Way

Burlington, VT- While nearly everyone fled Stony Brook for Spring Break, the Men’s Lacrosse team traveled to Vermont on Mar. 31 in hopes of capturing their fifth straight win. The Seawolves did not disappoint and took home a low scoring 9-4 win, led by a stingy defense that allowed only 16 shots.

With the game tied at 3-3 after the Catamounts’ Andrew Kelleher put one in the back of the net at the 8:38 mark, the Seawolves would step up their intensity and allow only one goal in the rest of the contest. SB would also turn up the offense, and closed the game out on a 6-1 run. Captains Ryan Hughes and Sean Chamberlain would each score two goals and combine for 4 assists. Helped by strong play in the backfield, Senior Captain Brendan Callahan stopped 5 shots, continuing his impressive season play in net.

Overall, SB is 5-0 against Vermont, with their last win on Apr. 1st, 2006. Vermont’s record falls to 3-6 while the Seawolves’ season record improves to 5-1 before their highly anticipated match up against undefeated Albany. The Seawolves would eventually fall short in the match 14-5, for only their second loss of the season.