Track participate at Metropolitan Championships in New York City

The Stony Brook University track & field teams ran at the Metropolitan Championships, hosted at Manhattan College’s Draddy Gymnasium and at the Armory on Thursday and Friday, respectively.
    On the men’s side, freshman Terry Martin set a school record in the 60m hurdles preliminaries with 8.35 seconds. He would finish with a time of 8.38 seconds in the finals.
    He would also participate in the final event of the Championships in the 4x400m relay. Martin, with sophomore Adam Jacobs, sophomore Robert Taylor and freshman Frank Gravano, ran for a time of 3:26.17, coming in sixth place. This time qualifies them for  the Millrose Games.
    For the women, the distance medley team, composed of sophomore Olivia Burne, junior Annie Keown and seniors LaQuashia Hall and Lucy Van Dalen finished first with an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) qualiftying time of 11:46.78.
    Van Dalen also won first place with a time of 2:07.61, also an ECAC qualifying time.
    Van Dalen also won the 800m with a time of 2:07.61, a school record, and qualified for the ECAC Championships as well.
    The next event for the teams will be the Giegengack Invitational, which will take place at Yale University on Feb. 3 and 4. It will be the third event for track & field in 2012.