The global job war and why we are losing it

The main problem with our economy, the one thing that is going to make it hard for many of us at this university to find jobs is the simple truth that American companies continue sending jobs overseas, where work can be done for much cheaper.
    Companies no longer care about the Americans that they employ and many have packed up shop and started new offices and factories around the world.
    The reason for the outflow of jobs that has been going on for the past two decades or so is two-fold. One is that there is no penalty levied on American businesses for sending our jobs to other countries.
    While other nations impose strict protectionist policies on their trade and their corporations. the regulation free laissez-faire economic policies we have adopted have hurt us tremendously. At this point, the global market is on such a hair trigger that if the United States moved enacted tariffs or other measures to protect American jobs it could very well start a trade war.
    The policies to protect our jobs should have been put in place before we opened the gates to globalization, as this outcome was easily foreseeable. In the name of profit and postponing our problems  however nothing was done and today we are lacking jobs in our country. It is another way that shortsighted greed once again trumped the greater good for all Americans.
    Another major issue that causes jobs to leave our country is the painful truth that our education system is no longer at par with other nations.
    In fact there are plenty of jobs to be had in technology and other science and math-related fields. There are however not enough qualified people in the United States to fill all these positions.
    The sad truth is that, without a science or math degree, it is going to be very hard for an American to find a job. Jobs that are not high-tech or connected to science or medicine are easy to outsource.
    There was time when America was the global leader in education, and we had the most prolific scientists and the most educated  and largest middle class. Today, however, there isn’t much of an emphasis on education in our popular culture. Other things are emphasized, while working hard and doing well are often not stressed to us. Just a quick look at the drop out rates for high school these days is reason enough for any sensible person to worry.
    Gone are the days that one could go to high school and then get a well paying job at a factory directly afterwards and still live the American dream. Gone are the days where even a college degree guarantees a job. These days, most people who get a job right out of college are very lucky.
    Most people will take some time to find a job or immediately go back to school for more education. The truth is that the more advanced fields, the ones that pay well and have many jobs open often take more than 4 years to complete.
    The only way that America can really get back on its feet is to slowly start enacting laws that protect our jobs here, for people to make an effort to buy American, lastly and probably the most important thing we can do for our country is to re focus  ourselves on education and on getting degrees that will make us competitive in the global market.