Older Siblings on Campus club lends a helping hand to students

When freshman bioch-emistry and computer science major Adam Liang came to Stony Brook in Fall 2011, he struggled taking CHE 131 and PHY 131 at the same time and looked for some academic assistance to get the A’s he desired.
    During his search, he found the mentoring club, Older Siblings on Campus, or OSOC.
    OSOC is a club that allows underclassmen to meet with upperclassmen and receive advice regarding how to achieve academically and socially during their years at Stony Brook and in their future careers.
    “Being a part of OSOC is really like having another older brother or sister who is giving his or her all in helping you out,”Liang said. “I feel that there is always somebody I can go to when I need help, and that is my favorite part of being a part of OSOC.”
    Liang and his mentor, Malack Hamade, a junior biochemistry and applied math and science major, meet one- on- one to discuss areas that Liang has trouble with in class.
    The club has approximately 30 mentees (or “younger sibs,” as OSOC calls them) and 24 upperclassman. Like Liang and Hamade, the mentors and their younger sibs meet weekly to discuss problem areas that the mentees find in class. Mentors and younger sibs are matched based on their major to maximize the mentees’ success.
    In addition, OSOC holds workshops designed for underclassmen. One such workshop assisted freshmen in creating the best possible schedule for the upcoming semester. Other workshops focused on social networking and internships. OSOC also runs review sessions for introductory classes that usually bring around 100 students.
    OSOC also has a scavenger hunt and a graduation party planned for this semester.
    When Hamade learned of her younger sib’s interest in biochemistry, she took him on a tour of the lab in which she works.
    Nadiya Pavlishyn, a freshman applied math and statistics major, joined after being approached about the club during fall 2011 orientation weekend. When Pavlishyn’s mentor was not sure about a potential computer science class that Pavlishyn was considering taking, her mentor referred her to another OSOC mentor that was familiar with the computer science program.
    “The initial response I get when I tell people about the program is that OSOC is exactly the type of program they wish they could have benefited from as freshmen,” Hamade said. “They’re glad someone decided to set the gears in motion.”
    Hamade started OSOC in spring 2011, and the club was officially recognized by the university in Fall 2011.
    “I really love that I have my mentor, as well as multiple other OSOC mentors that I am close to that I can contact whenever I have a question,”  Pavlishyn said. “My mentor is specifically the same major as me, but many of Stony Brook’s programs are represented by the mentors, and there’s always someone who can give you some advice on academics, or anything else.”
    Liang hopes to become a mentor when he becomes an upperclassman so that he can help an underclassman the same way his mentor helped him.