Seawolves host Boston in battle of America East best

There’s no team in the America East with a better record against Stony Brook this season than Boston University, and that’s exactly who will be trying to spoil the Seawolves’ perfect home record at 9 p.m. on Friday night at Pritchard Gymnasium.

The game, nationally televised on ESPNU and billed as a red-out – with the Seawolves wearing their red away jerseys —  by the school, will hand the winner sole possession of first place in the America East conference. Boston and Stony Brook have identical 7-1 conference records.

And even though the Terriers defeated Stony Brook in Boston just two weeks ago in Boston – the Seawolves’ only loss in the last 10 games — for senior Dallis Joyner, the pressure doesn’t come from the prospect of losing again, but from the clock winding down on his college basketball career.

“I just think that every game is added pressure now because it’s coming down to minutes for us,” he said. “Every possession counts now. It’s going to be over soon, so you’ve got to take advantage of that.”

The Seawolves haven’t beaten Boston since Jan. 30, 2010, when Stony Brook earned a 71-55 win. Since, The Terriers have come out on top in five consecutive meetings, including last season’s America East championship game and a conference tournament matchup the year before.

Despite that streak and the quick turnaround after Wednesday night’s 60-37 drubbing of Hartford, the Seawolves feel they are prepared to deal with the Terriers.

“We’re gonna go after it,” Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell said. “We’re capable, very capable. If we play defense like we did tonight, like we’ve been, we’ll be fine and we always score enough points to win. But it will be a challenge, they’re the best team in the league.”

The magnitude of the game doesn’t add any pressure for Stony Brook’s rock and leading scorer, senior Bryan Dougher. Dougher averages 13.7 points per game and can be deadly from beyond the three-point arc, as he was when he scored a season-high 23 on Wednesday.

“We’re going to come in and do what we always do,” he said “I’d be surprised if any coaching staff in the country watches more film and prepares better than our coaches do, so we’ll be prepared.”

Playing at home won’t hurt, either.

“Home court has been a big advantage for us for the past three years,” Pikiell said. “It’s been a tough place to play. Hopefully Friday it will be a real tough place to play.”