New Years Eve, a review: semi-cliché, semi-sweet

Ah, New Year’s Eve, a time for reflection over a year’s worth of mistakes, triumphs and bustle expressed through parties and excitement for a fresh slate.  The romantic comedy film “New Year’s Eve” takes one of the most enjoyable days of the year and brings it to life.  This star-packed film features 18 famous celebrities, ranging from “Modern Family” star Sofia Vergara, musician Jon Bon Jovi and actor Zac Efron.

The movie, which features multiple crisscrossing, related story arcs, is not for everyone.  It has semi-standard clichés working against it: one plot featured a duo working to complete some last minute New Year’s resolutions from the previous year; one character desperately seeks a kiss at midnight in Times Square; and a note is left telling one of the gentlemen that, in exactly one year, the two will meet again on New Year’s Eve if both involved are still single.

Of course, names of actors and characters are to be left out because the real treat of “New Year’s Eve” is in figuring how the characters intertwine to form a sort of group of nearly 18 people that know each other.  It becomes almost a case of the six degrees of separation.  How each character is involved with another is the driving force behind the film.

“New Year’s Eve” is not, however, made for anyone looking for any mind-blowing originality or groundbreaking film.  It’s a movie made to sit down, watch for about one hour and 45 minutes, laugh a bit and feel good about yourself and the New Year, and it does that job perfectly.

Each plot, connection and story is filled with humor.  Little one-liners and overly dramatic characters really shine in this film.  From Katherine Heigl’s scorned girlfriend stereotype to Ashton’s Kutcher’s “I hate everything” attitude, the movie just seems to click with intended audiences.  Don’t go looking for “Citizen Kane,” but you should still expect a decent, funny film.

Besides the all-star cast, romantic comedy laughs and feel-good viewing, the film is largely shot on location in Times Square where, unsurprisingly, most of the characters end up spending their New Year’s.  Even with the 18 cast members receiving star billing, there are plenty more cameos to spice up the already talented and famous cast.  Alyssa Milano, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Matthew Broderick, Ryan Seacrest and, if you pay close attention, Nathan Fillion all make apperances in the movie.

So, if you’re looking for a romantic comedy that gives you plenty of love stories filled with famous people, this is it.  It really won’t disappoint viewers who arrive expecting a simple, yet effective, group of celebrities finding love on one of the most enjoyable days of the year in New York City.