Boston University defeats the Seawolves on the court

For the first time since the two teams faced off in the America East championship game last winter, the Stony Brook Seawolves and the Boston University Terriers met to play for the former’s fifth conference game of the season. The result would be the same as last time, with Stony Brook falling short with a score of 61-55 in favor of its New England rival.

“We got beat by a good team today,” head coach Steve Pikiell said. “You can’t spot a team a 14-point lead and expect to win. That wasn’t like us. Usually we defend the ball even when we’re not scoring. But I like how we fought back and got back into the game. We just fell short.”

The loss brought an end to the Seawolves’ six-game winning streak. They are currently 9-7 overall and 4-1 in conference play. Before Saturday’s game, Boston’s conference record had already taken a dent as it was 3-1 in such play and 7-11 overall.

Coming up big for Stony Brook was sophomore guard Dave Coley, who would score a career-high 21 points.

The game began with the Seawovles falling behind the Terriers rapidly, as they made only two of their first 11 shots and turned the ball over nine times a little more than half-way through the first half. The greatest lead that Boston held during the half was 14 points, but the Seawolves would fight back to cut the deficit to only six. The score stood at 26-20 as the two teams headed into their respective locker rooms.

Stony Brook continued to eat into Boston’s lead. With 11:20 left in the game, senior guard Bryan Dougher nailed a three-point shot, and Coley followed with another jump shot, which tied the score at 38 each.

But Boston would be able to hold a small lead for the rest of the game as the Terriers beat Stony Brook for the fifth time in a row.

Stony Brook will next play the University of New Hampshire at home at Pritchard Gymansium on Monday at 5 p.m.