Disappointing season for women’s soccer

For the first time in four seasons, the women’s soccer team did not make it to the America East playoffs.

“It was disapponting that we couldn’t afford our seniors a postseason game,” said Sue Ryan, the head coach of the Seawolves. “That part was disappointing for the seniors and for the team.”

With an overall record of 4-12-1 and a conference record of 2-5-1, the team’s performance this season was dismal. After winning its first game, it went on to lose the next seven games in a row. The ever-optimistic coach Ryan, however, did not think those losses reflected in the end of season play.

“We have a very high degree of schedule difficulty,” said Ryan. “The important thing was we were competitive and in every game so that was a plus.”

Despite their record, the Seawolves still had a shot at the playoffs.

Their final game, which was  against Albany, could’ve given them a playoff spot. However, they fell to the Great Danes 2-1, and wins by Binghamton and New Hampshire pushed them out of the playoffs. They finished the season in seventh place.

At the time, Coach Ryan called the final game “disappointing.”

The Seawolves will lose four seniors next season, including captain and five-year starter Dana Adamkiewicz.

“Any time you lose people who are starting and lose leadership, that affects the team,” Ryan said. “We’re hoping the younger players step forward and take those leadership roles [next season].”

In terms of what’s next for the Seawolves, Ryan said the goal is the same as ever: “get back into the postseason and get to the conference title and win the game.” But for now, she is sad over the end of another season and the loss of her seniors.

“It’s hard to capsalize the whole season with one word,” she said. “We have a good team with good players who do all the right things academically and off the field, so there’s a lot of different ways to define it. That’s an important piece people need to understand.”