Men’s soccer season ends at Monmouth

The last time the Stony Brook men’s soccer team went to the NCAA playoffs, it took an overtime period for Brown to earn a 1-0 win over the Seawolves.

This time around, the game wasn’t so short. With neither the Seawolves nor No. 23 Monmouth able to find the back of the net in regulation or two periods of overtime, the game went to penalty kicks, where the Hawks prevailed, 5-4.

Junior Antonio Crespi missed high on Stony Brook’s third kick to allow Monmouth the decisive advantage. Kyle Schlesinger, Berian Gobeil Cruz and Leonardo Fernandes all converted from the spot for the Seawolves.

“It was a great match between two great teams,” Seawolves head coach Ryan Anatol said in a press release. “I thought we had some great chances tonight, and I thought we did everything we could to put ourselves in position to win. Both goalies had great games.”

In fact, it was the goalkeepers who stole the show, combining for 13 saves to keep their respective goals intact for the duration of the game.That’s not to say that there weren’t any chances. In the second half, Stony Brook junior Charlie Jones had a clear look at the goal, but his shot was cleanly saved by Monmouth goalkeeper Alex Blackburn in the 49th minute.

Then from the 57th minute to the 61st minute, Stony Brook goalkeeper Stefan Manz was forced into a series of three saves, including a point-blank shot from Monmouth’s Kalle Sotka in the middle of the penalty area.

Manz made a save on Sotka in the first overtime, and Blackburn had a save in each overtime period to keep the game scoreless. It was Manz’s fifth shutout of the season, and Blackburn’s 13th. Cruz led the Seawolves with three shots on target, the most of any player in the game.

Monmouth will advance to play against No. 5 University of Connecticut in the second round of the NCAA national championship playoffs. Stony Brook’s season ends at 10-6-4 after earning its third America East championship in program history, and the second in three years.

The Seawolves will return nine starters next fall.