Men’s basketball rebounds with 93-39 win over Mount Ida

Foward Tommy Brenton finished the game two assists shy of a triple double with 11 points, 13 rebounds. (Kenneth Ho / The Statesman)

There’s just nothing like a solid rout to erase the memory of a recent beating.

That’s exactly what the Stony Brook men’s basketball team got in its home opener on Sunday afternoon at Pritchard Gymnasium, as it dominated Mount Ida 93-39.

It was impressive in that not only did every Seawolf who took the court score, but every single one grabbed a rebound as well.

“Our best attribute as a team is our depth,” said senior captain Bryan Dougher. “You got guys coming off the bench for energy, and everybody on this team is talented, and you almost have interchangeable parts so that nobody has to play 40 minutes a game.”

Eleven Stony Brook players got time, with four scoring in double-digits, and even Ben Resner — who scored one point last season — was good for four points.

“The way we play defense, guys get tired, so I need to play a lot of guys anyway,” Pikiell said. “But I feel confident in guys…There are guys I can sub in that I feel real good about. And I think that they feel that way too.”

It was a good response from a Stony Brook team that looked overmatched in a 30-point loss to Indiana on Friday to start the season. The Seawolves led halfway through the first half on Friday, but Indiana’s size and strength overwhelmed the visitors in a performance that was disappointing for Pikiell.

“We didn’t play the way I wanted to play against Indiana,” Pikiell said. “But we got 24 assists today. I liked the way we played unselfish basketball.”

Junior Ron Bracey led the way with 16 points for Stony Brook, including five of the team’s first seven points and the first four Seawolves points of the second half. But Pikiell said he still needs to see more from the transfer.

“I was glad Ron Bracey got off to a good start as well, because he can score,” Pikiell said. “But he’s not ready….We’re hoping he grows into it and gets himself ready. We play defense here, and I don’t know how much defense he’s been asked to play in his life…We’ve got to get him moving at a higher speed.”

Junior Tommy Brenton enjoyed his return to Pritchard Gym after missing all of last season with an injury, putting up a double-double with 13 rebounds and 11 points.He was welcomed warmly by the home crowd of about 1,000, and was two assists away from a triple-double.

“It feels good to get the love again,” Brenton said, adding that his injury is fully healed. “It [his knee] feels normal. Just a little ice after, but I’ve been doing that for years now.”

Dougher, who scored 15 points, including back-to-back threes in the second half to force a Mount Ida timeout, said Brenton’s return played a big part for the Seawolves.

“It’s huge, he does so many things well,” Dougher said. “He has a huge impact on the game, offensively, defensively.”

Dougher also made a huge impact as well, as he regained his shooting form, hitting four of six from behind the three-point arc and five of eight from the field.

Dave Coley was especially good off the bench for Stony Brook, scoring nine points and grabbing seven rebounds.Senior Danny Carter, who was ejected from Friday night’s game at Indiana, was benched by head coach Pikiell and did not play.

Stony Brook’s next game is away on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against a Sacred Heart.