Volleyball wraps up season with wins over Providence

Stony Brook women’s volleyball swept Providencein three matches on Friday. Senior Allison Nelson had a match high 14 kills as the Seawolves wrapped up the No. 3 seed in the America East tournament.

Sophomore Evann Slaughter had nine kills and junior Greta Strenger added eight of her own. Freshman Laura Hathaway had four digs for the Seawolves, as they improved to 14-12 and 7-5 in the America East.

Providenceopened with 14-9 lead in the first set, before Stony Brook took a 18-16 lead after a 10-2 run.Providence’s Laura Fletcher had a kill, but the Seawolves won the set with a 7-2 run.

Stony Brook opened the second set with a 12-5 lead and won the match by five points.

The Seawolves opened the third set with a 9-1 run, andProvidencecould not get closer than seven. Nelson ended the set with back-to-back kills to give the Seawolves the victory.

Stony Brook had 13 aces in the match, four coming from both Nelson and Hathaway. The Seawolves held the Friars to a .098 attack percentage and no Friar had more than nine kills. Lauren Hendel had nine kills for Providence in the match.