Hockey proves why it should be ranked 15 in nation

Fresh off of a move up the ACHA rankings, #15 Stony Brook made a strong impression in its Eastern States Collegiate Hockey League opening games, sweeping #21 Robert Morris in Pittsburgh by scores of 9-4 Saturday night and 8-4 Sunday afternoon.

“Overall, it was a successful weekend,” said head coach Chris Garafalo.

After an even start for both teams in the first game, Stony Brook’s John Jennings opened up the scoring at the 9:12 mark. Ian Mauriello scored a few minutes later after banking in a pass off of a Colonial defender to give Stony Brook a 2-0 lead after the first period.

In the second period, Ryan Vertino and Eddie Montgomery both scored to continue Stony Brook’s momentum and increase the lead to 4-0.

Max Rickard got Robert Morris on the scoreboard after capitalizing on a Stony Brook turnover, but the Seawolves responded less then a minute later in a scramble in front of the Colonials’ net to make it 5-1.

Robert Morris’ Matt Javitt scored a powerplay goal in the first minute of the third period, but that was followed up by goals from Stony Brook’s Sam Brewster and Wesley Hawkins to make the score 7-2.

Pat Foster and Nick Deresky rounded out the scoring for Stony Brook, who took the first game 9-4.

Stony Brook looked to carry its play from Saturday to Sunday’s game, with Daniel Cassano giving the Seawolves an early lead less then two minutes into the game.

After Robert Morris scored to make it 1-1, Foster made it 2-1 at the 9:04 mark, shooting a wrist-shot by Colonials goalie Lee Anderson while on the powerplay.

The second period saw Robert Morris score three unanswered goals to make it 4-2. With only 4:19 left to go in the period, however, Stony Brook bounced back. Goals from Vertino, Mike Cacciotti and Jennings in a 58 second span put Stony Brook back on top 5-4.

Goals from Jennings, Hawkins and Deresky in the third period rounded out the scoring for Stony Brook.

Chris Ryan did not make the trip due to an undisclosed injury. Jennings was bumped up from the 4th line to take his spot in the lineup.

With the opening ESCHL conference games out of the way, Stony Brook will take on no. 5 Delaware, next weekend at the Rinx in Hauppauge for a two game series.

“I think we are going to surprise Delaware,” Garafalo said.