New Jersey prospect commits to SBU

Being the son of a former Bucknell graduate, academics were considered a huge priority for New Jersey recruit Carson Puriefoy III, who narrowed his final choices down to Stony Brook, Vermont and Princeton.

However, after his official visit to Stony Brook, the point guard from New Jersey decided to commit to the school on Oct. 17.

“It feels pretty good considering it was a long process,” Puriefoy III said “I can just focus on high school now.”

According to Puriefoy III, Stony Brook began showing interest in July after his participation in a Hoop Group camp in Pennsylvania, where head coach Steve Pikiell saw him play.

“I love his conference,”  Puriefoy III said. “He told me: we can go to the NCAA tourney your freshman year.”

Puriefoy III’s father, Carson Puriefoy Jr. said that academics were considered important, and that the family looked at several factors, including the earning potential of a Stony Brook degree and recent SAT scores of applicants.

“We just wanted him to make the decision he was comfortable with,” Puriefoy Jr. said, who was a three year starter at Bucknell as a point guard.

While the Puriefoys liked the school’s academic reputation, other factors played into the decision.

“The most important thing was academic support, we really liked [Assistant Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Development] Courtney Sanfelippo,” Puriefoy Jr. said.

For Puriefoy III, another large role that came into play was the promise of a chance to start in his first year, with current starter Bryan Dougher set to graduate after this season.

“I didn’t want to go to a name school and sit for two years,” said Puriefoy III.

Listed at 6’0 and 165 lbs, Puriefoy III is considered to be a true point guard, much like his father, who trained him to be a point guard growing up.

“He is much smarter, a much better player then I was,” Puriefoy  Jr. said. “He’s much further advanced then I was at his age.”

Those point guard skills could help Stony Brook, a team that finished 341st in the nation last season, in assists per game.

“I can run a team really well,” Puriefoy III said. “I can communicate with other players well.”

With his decision made, Puriefoy III wants to just focus on his high school team’s upcoming season. His school, Bishop Eustace Prep, is considered to be one of the top teams in south Jersey.

“Now I don’t have to wait,” Puriefoy III said. “I can live like a normal high school kid.”