WR Matt Brevi looks to finish career strong

It was a dream come true for a Stony Brook football player, who made it onto SportsCenter’s Top Ten Plays. Senior wide receiver Matt Brevi made it onto the popular ESPN countdown after a catch against Presbyterian.

Brevi caught the ball just before the endzone and scored to close out the first half. He was able to battle multiple Blue Hose defenders for the ball and get into the endzone. “It wasn’t that tough of a catch to make, we practice that play every week in practice,” said Brevi. It was his second touchdown catch of the day, which put the Seawolves 21-10 at the end of the first half.

As for being on the Top Ten, Brevi said “It was very cool and a great honor to represent Stony Brook. It really was a dream come true for me.” It was not the first time a Stony Brook athlete has made the well-liked countdown. In 2010 men’s lacrosse player, Tom Compitello made it for a diving wrap-around goal and Kevin Crowley made number one on the same Top Ten for a behind-the-back goal in the same game vs. Denver. In 2009, Stony Brook was featured on a another popular ESPN program, PTI, or Pardon the Interruption, for a player doing cartwheels after scoring a goal.

Brevi has been a key contributor for this Seawolve team since his arrival in 2009 from Fort Hayes State University in Kansas. He had a career high five touchdowns last season to go along with 668 yards as a receiver. This season Brevi had three touchdowns, which is tied for the most on the team. “Our team has been doing great as of late, after a little slow start,” said Brevi. He added another touchdown catch against St. Anslem, to get to three on the season.

He was an All-Big South second team selection last season, while leading the Seawolves with 668 yards and five touchdowns. Brevi also caught touchdown passes of 61 and 67 yards last season. His career-high in catches in a game was also set last season, when he caught 10 against Lafayette.

In 2009, his first at Stony Brook, Brevi played in all 11 games and was tied for the second most receptions with 26. Brevi also finished third on the team with 344 receiving yards, in a season where he was the team’s main kick returner. He ran back 27 kickoffs for 557 yards and finished third in the Big South in return yards and fourth in return average. That amount of returns and yards was the second most in Stony Brook football history. He finished with 907 all-purpose yards in 2009, and had a catch in eight of the 11 games.

Brevi returned three kickoffs for 140 yards against Brown, and was named Big South Special Teams Player of the Week (9/21). He also set a school record in kickoff returns with eight that season against UMass.

Before coming to Stony Brook he played at Fort Hayes State University in Kansas, where he had 34 catches for 397 yards. He also returned 13 kickoffs for 366 yards.

Brevi played at Armwood High School in Seffner, Fla. and had two varsity letters for the Hawks. He was an all-state, all-district, and all-county player for the Hawks. In his senior season, Brevi had six kickoff returns for touchdowns and helped lead the team to two state championships.

His brother Chris, also played at Stony Brook from 2007-2008, where he was a defensive back. “My brother played here, so I knew a decent amount about the school,” said the younger Brevi.

With this being his final season at Stony Brook, Brevi is looking to end on a high note. “My goal for the season is to win the conference championship and to make the NCAA playoffs, we deserve to be there” Brevi said.  As far as playing after his college career is over, Brevi said “I’ll have to take it for what it’s worth, and I’m going to try and play after.”

It’s been a great career for the 6-2, 215 lb receiver from Tampa, Fla. Finishing it off with an appearance on the SportCenter’s Top Ten list is a great feat. “I didn’t believe it at first, but one of my buddies from back home texted me and let me know I made it,” Brevi said. “My parents recorded it and it is something I’ll show my kids.” But he is still looking for that sole possession of a conference championship and a berth in the NCAA playoffs.