Post-it art sticks as a new campus trend

Post-it Mario stands proudly in Yang College in Rooseevelt Quad. (Max Wei / The Statesman)

Another popular internet trend has hit, or rather stuck to, Stony Brook University.

Post-it note pixelated artwork has been seen across Stony Brook’s campus in a variety of quads and numerous pictures.

The artwork ranges from the Roth Quad Post-it note window war, the 8-bit Mario and the popular image of a minion from the animated hit “Despicable Me.”

Arguably the most popular bit of Post-it note decoration was the Roth window war, which lasted many rounds of sticky-note banter before it ended.  The occupants of B12 in Cardozo College in Roth Quad, who wish to remain anonymous, said that they were asked to take down their sticky notes due to profanities.

“We got back [from Rosh Hashanah] and we saw signs about it.”  These signs said that they could no longer use the Post-it notes to have a conversation.  The Resident Assistant in their suite was unsure if he was able to comment on the situation and also preferred to remain unnamed.

“People would point and take pictures,” the residents said in reference to the ongoing trend of sticky note art on campus.  “It’s on Reddit.”

Reddit is a social media site that contains user -submitted data, a testament to the popularity of the window conversation and Post-it art in general.

However, Beth McGuire, the assistant director for college housing in Roth Quad, was unaware that the students had been banned from using the Post-its.

In an email, McGuire suggested turning to the terms of occupancy and the university student conduct code set forth by Stony Brook for answers regarding the regulations concerning Post-it note art, and, in this particular case, the removal of them due to profanities.

According to the conduct code, “No student shall threaten, assault, haze or otherwise physically, psychologically, verbally, or in writing by electronic means or otherwise, abuse any other person.”  So it is within the limits of staff to ask the students of Cardozo College to remove the Post-its if someone was offended.

However, there are still sticky notes present on campus, like the minion on the window of Toscanini College resident Brian Nguyen, 18, a biomedical engineering major.  He discovered the trend of sticky notes when he saw it in Roth.

When questioned about his future in sticky note art, he said he would continue “if I have any ideas.”  Yet,these ideas must be something Nguyen can accomplish, as he choose a minion because it was “simple.”  Nguyen said it took him quite a few hours to complete his project, as the Post-its didn’t always stay up.

His sticky note art was completed during the Rosh Hashanah break, approximately the same time the residents of Roth were asked to stop.

The B12 residents “hoped it would go on longer,” and it seems that Post-it art will continue as long as it remains clean.

It has been weeks since Rosh Hashanah ended, and still no one has asked Nguyen to take down his minion.  The Post-its do not seem to break any other rules, like fire codes, as only “tapestries” are not allowed in dorms, according to Stony Brook’s terms of occupancy.

Post-it note art is a mildly cheap trend to get involved in.  A standard 3” x 3” canary yellow post-it note 12 pack costs $11.99 at Staples.  Twelve packs of sticky notes should last residents many pictures and statements when making this seemingly ongoing artwork.