Potential recruit visits Stony Brook

After giving his verbal commitment to Stony Brook on August 24, Ryan Burnett took his official visit to Stony Brook over this past weekend and got to experience college life first hand.
“It was great,” said the 6’3″ guard. “I got to watch their first practice, hang out with the team, got to shoot around.”
Burnett also mentioned attending his first college class with sophomore center Anthony Mayo.
“He’s a cool guy,” said Burnett. “He’s always smiling, always joking around.”
Burnett received several offers from southern schools, including Radford, Elon and Winthrop, in addition to Colonial Athletic Association schools Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason, before deciding to commit to Stony Brook.
According to Burnett, Stony Brook began showing interest in July after his performance at the West Virginia Hoop Group Jam Fest, an Amateur Athletic Union tournament that was attended by over 300 colleges and universities.
“He was comfortable with it, I was comfortable with it,” said Sean McAloon, Benedictine’s head coach. “Academics were a big deal for his mom.”
According to his coach, Burnett is a versatile swingman who can score in a variety of different ways.
“He’s got a lot of skills,” said McAloon. “He can drive to the basket or pull-up for a mid-range jumper.”
Like many other high school players, McAloon believes Burnett needs to get stronger and quicker in order to succeed at the next level, as assessment that Burnett himself agrees with.
“I’m in the weight room twice a week, working with my trainer,” Burnett said.
Burnett currently plays at Benedictine High School, one of the most storied basketball programs in Virginia. The school, whose alumni includes current NBA player Ed Davis, routinely sends a few players to Division I schools every year.
“I see him as a little brother,” Mike Gbinije, a former teammate of Burnett’s who is currently a freshman on Duke’s basketball team, said in a text.
“I always gave him words of encouragement, I liked the fact that he didn’t back down from me.”
Last season, Burnett played behind bigger names, such as Gbinije and Trey Davis, who currently plays Division I basketball for Richmond.
“I was like a role player, I had to come in and keep momentum,” said Burnett. “This year, I’m going to be the number one option.”
While Burnett is still playing for Benedictine and focused on their upcoming season, he is looking forward to his arrival at Stony Brook for the 2012-13 season.
“When I get there, I’m going to work hard and look to win the America East conference championship,” Burnett said.
With Jameel Warney and Ryan Burnett already committed to Stony Brook, Steve Pikiell is looking at add a third player to next year’s freshman class.
According to his Twitter feed, New Jersey native Carson Puriefoy III made his official visit to Stony Brook the previous weekend.
“On my way to the airport, flying to long island for and official visit to stony brook university until sunday. #excited,” Puriefoy wrote on his Twitter account on October 13.
From Bishop Eustace High School in New Jersey, Puriefoy has trimmed his list of schools down to Stony Brook, Vermont and Princeton.
Academics are considered to be a high priority. On June 8, Puriefoy told the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Keith Pompay: “My dad went to Bucknell. So academics are really important.”
Listed at 6’0 and 165 lbs, Puriefoy is considered to be a true point guard like his father, Carson Puriefoy Jr, who was a three year starter at Bucknell.