Fall into fashion with these October trends

We know every college student loves comfort-wear, but it’s also fun to dress up and create your own individual style. Geri Hirsch,  who created and divulges L.A. fashion secrets at her blog, www.beacauseimaddicted.net.

“I went to football games, joined a sorority, chanted our fight song every time we went to a bar and spent a year abroad,” she said.  “It was a ‘Lifetime Channel’ version of college and I loved every minute of it.”

Her unique love of fashion came from familial inspiration.

“My mom’s an artist so I grew up creating and took a particular liking to expressing myself through clothing,” she said.  “I was kind of like the kid in that Adam Sandler movie, ‘Big Daddy.’ You know, the one that dressed himself in capes and what not.”

Hirsch’s trendy picks for fall include collars, textures and lots of layers.  New York weather lends us to items of a more practical variety however, but as always, designers brought out a wealth of classic trends for men and women this fall.

“Big square framed glasses,” said Kaitlin Barry, fashioning Forever 21 boyfriend jeans, a TJ Max sweater and cognac flats. “They’re different and edgy.”

For women, chunky sweaters add some comfort to the season.  H&M has a cozy fair-isle print one that has a hood for those extra crisp days ($34.95). Blazers are another warm option that give a structured layering alternative that look good with either a dress or pants.  J. Crew’s Tweed Schoolboy in Donagal Tweed ($198) is a casual option that can be worn with dark-wash jeans and heeled boots or Express’s Studio Stretch One Button jacket in black for a more formal, and less costly addition.  Mixed prints have also resurfaced this fall.  In general different prints look good together if they share at least one color, or are paired with a solid colored basic.

A leopard print pullover with an oversized striped top would look good together like Forever 21’s options ($17.80 and $9.80) or Guess’s Davina lace tank under the red plaid Verona Top ($39 and $69).

“Jackets,” said Kevin Luzong, sporting a Topman jacket, American Apparel hoodie and Urban Outfitters pants.  “They pull an outfit together.”

For men, the retro double breasted sports jacket has been revived, but pairing it with a denim shirt or khakis gives it a casual spin.  Macy’s Sons of Intrigue Bowery Double-Breasted Blazer ($47.99) is a smart navy piece that can be worn with Aeropostale’s Long Sleeve Solid Western Shirt ($25) and Slim Fit Legend Wash Chinos from Eddie Bauer ($49.95).

The ever-present plaid is also back into style for men (although some would say it never left).  To switch things up this season, a plaid tie or socks—like the Edinburgh Tartan Tie and Argyle Socks by J. Crew ($69.50 and $14.50) or paired with a neutral outfit can give a quirky spin on an otherwise plain outfit.  This fall giving a slight cuff to either jeans or slacks is also in trend with the men.  It adds subtle detail to the pant leg, as well as giving the bottoms some weight.

Courtney Porter, dressed in Nordstrom boots, a Lucky Brand blouse and vintage sunglasses, enjoys “Boots. I brought 18 pairs of shoes from California and most are boots.”

As always, keep in mind: fall weather does lend to much more fashionable options, but practicality is essential. Whether you’re pumpkin picking or taking a scenic walk, warmth and comfort can be found in many chic places.  As always, happy styling!

All pieces can be found at the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove, NY