No. 14/15 Stony Brook women’s lacrosse searching for victory against Monmouth

Stony Brook women’s lacrosse players huddle during a stoppage against Elon on Friday, March 22. The Seawolves will square off against Monmouth in New Jersey on Friday. ANGELINA LIVIGNI/THE STATESMAN

Following two blowout victories at home, the No. 14/15 Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team will hit the road in hopes of racking up another one.

The Seawolves (8-2, 3-0 CAA) will take on the Monmouth Hawks (5-5, 1-2 CAA) on Friday. Opening draw is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Last year, Stony Brook cruised to a 20-5 victory over Monmouth on April 7, which perfectly paints the picture of the two teams’ previous matchups. In five clashes against each other, the Seawolves have won all five by five or more goals, three of which saw them win by double figures.

Like last year, the Hawks’ offense has remained hot this season, as their 18.5 goals per game rank third in the Coastal Athletic Association (CAA).

Leading Monmouth’s offense are attackers Caroline Brennan and Mya Brock. Brennan leads the team and is fourth in the CAA with 31 goals while also leading the team with 35 points. Brock possesses both playmaking and goalscoring abilities, as she has netted 21 goals and racked up 10 assists to place her second on the team in each category.

Midfielder Danielle McNeely leads the team with 11 assists and places third on the Hawks’ roster with 17 goals. Attacker Shea Berigan has contributed 12 goals in nine appearances. Off the bench, midfielders Maddie Flynn and Sophia Ianno have both chipped in with 10 goals each.

Midfielder Taylor Charpentier has tallied just three goals, but her eight assists tie her with attacker Ella Spears for the third most on the team.

They will be without attacker Grace Curtin, who has not played since Feb. 27. In just five games, Curtin totaled 10 goals and three assists.

Although Monmouth can score, Stony Brook has had no defensive trouble, as it concedes the fewest goals per game (8.18) in the CAA.

Between the pipes for the Seawolves will either be goalkeepers Aaliyah Jones or Emily Manning, if not both. Manning has posted a 10.30 goals against average and a .317 save percentage, which is the worst figure in the CAA. Due to Manning’s season-long struggles, Jones started the team’s last game against Campbell. With her superior 2.81 goals against average and .684 save percentage, Jones was able to make four saves in a perfect effort to potentially snag the starting job going forward.

Defenders Clare Levy and Avery Hines will help protect either Manning or Jones in the cage. Hines leads the team with 20 ground balls and 25 caused turnovers per game. Her 2.5 caused turnovers per contest are the second most in the CAA. Levy has picked up 17 ground balls and caused eight turnovers.

Defender McKenzie Mitchell has caused seven turnovers this year, tying her with midfielder Charlotte Verhulst for third on the team. Defender Jordan Forte will likely round out the starting endline.

Midfielder Erin MacQuarrie has been active on the ground, as she has scooped up 15 ground balls. Playing in the midfield, midfielder Charlotte Verhulst has been a versatile player, causing seven turnovers and picking up eight ground balls. Midfielder Isabella Caporuscio is an effective two-way midfielder, and she has picked up 10 ground balls in as many games this year. From the second team, midfielder Alexandra Fusco has racked up nine ground balls and five takeaways.

Unlike their counterpart, the Hawks have not been nearly as good when defending, as their 12 goals allowed per game are the fourth most in the CAA.

Monmouth goalkeeper Katie Sullivan — who concedes 13.16 goals per game — will likely mind her team’s cage. Although Sullivan has allowed a lot of goals this year, she faces plenty of shots and has saved nearly half of them, giving her the fifth-best save percentage (.497) in the CAA.

Playing in front of Sullivan will be defenders Shannon Feeley, Kayla Wehberg and Mary Kate George. Feeley leads the team with 2.4 ground balls per game, which are the fifth-most in the CAA. Along with that, she has caused nine turnovers. Wehberg has picked up 10 ground balls while George has caused 12 turnovers.

McNeely is an excellent two-way midfielder, as her 21 ground balls are the second most on the team while her 1.4 caused turnovers per game are tied for sixth in the conference. Ianno chips in on defense as well, as she has forced eight turnovers and scooped up 19 ground balls.

The Hawks will have the challenge of trying to slow down Stony Brook’s lethal offense, which leads the CAA with 15.7 goals per game.

At the forefront of the Seawolves’ attack is midfielder Ellie Masera, whose 56 points are the second most in the nation (56). She leads the conference with 41 goals and has dished out 15 assists. Her eight draw controls per game rank second in the league. Along with Masera on the midline is Verhulst, who has scored 22 goals and recorded five assists.

Attackers Alex Finn and Kailyn Hart are also key contributors to Stony Brook’s scoring efforts. Hart is second on both the team and in the CAA with 30 goals and has tacked on nine assists. Finn is the top playmaker on the team and in the conference with 35 assists and has also scored 17 times.

During the team’s last game, attacker Morgan Mitchell posted a hat trick, giving her seven goals and four assists this year. Midfielder Jaden Hampel is starting to get into a groove, as she is now up to seven goals after scoring five over the last two games. Off the bench, attacker Courtney Maclay has contributed six goals and two assists. Caporuscio has thrown in six goals and an assist, as well. In just six sporadic appearances, attacker Jolie Creo has chipped in two goals and five assists.

From the back end, Levy is having a career year offensively with four goals and three assists.

If the Seawolves’ defense can lock it down, then this game may wind up like the two from last weekend.