Women’s Soccer drops AE contest to undefeated BU

Playing the underdog role and hoping to maintain its position in the America East standings, Stony Brook lost to #20 Boston University 2-0 Thursday night and fell to a 2-3-1 record in conference play.
    “We missed some chances in the first half that I think if we put away, it’s a different game,” said head coach Sue Ryan.
    Boston University, who  was undefeated in conference play, dominated possession for the first five minutes, getting off four shots including an effort from Tiya Gallegos that sailed just high over the right corner.
    After enduring the initial flurry, Stony Brook began to gain some momentum.
    In the 12 minute, Taryn Schoenbeck played a perfect long-ball from the midfield to Sa’sha Kershaw, but was denied by Boston goalkeeper Alice Binns.Three minutes later, Julianne Palm managed to play a free kick at Sa’sha Kershaw into the box, but her flick header was swept away by the Boston defense as the once again failed to finish.
    “I think finishing has been a major issue for us over the past couple of games,” said Ryan.
    In the 43 minute of the half, Boston’s Taylor Krebs made a cross into the Stony Brook box. The ball deflected off of a Stony Brook defender and fell to the feet of Jamie Turchi, who blasted in her first goal of the season to give Boston the lead late in the half.
    Stony Brook was unable to bounce back from the first half deficit.
    “You have to be Dory to be a good athlete,” Ryan said about the goal, making a reference to the character voiced by Ellen DeGeneres in the Pixar film “Finding Nemo.”
    “Dory has no short-term memory, you can’t lament over that.”
    In the 51 minute, Boston’s Lina Cords fired a volley from 28 yards out that was past the reach of a diving Chelsea Morales to give Boston an insurance goal.
    At the 86 minute, Stony Brook’s Caitlin Pfeiffer took a knock and was substituted. Ryan said after the game she hadn’t talked with the athletic trainer about the injury.
    Boston out-shot Stony Brook 18-9 for the game. Morales made seven saves in the losing effort, with Kershaw leading the team with four shots, two of which were on goal.
    The loss drops Stony Brook to fifth place with seven points.
    The third and fourth place teams are guaranteed a home game for the conference playoffs.
    “I think with 10 points we get in, I think with 13, we have a chance for a home game,” said Ryan.
    The Seawolves are back on the field on Thursday, Oct. 20th when they travel to Orono, Maine to play conference foe Maine University Blackbears at 3 pm.