Strong start for Seawolves ice hockey

With championship aspirations for this season, Stony Brook’s ice hockey team has opened the 2011-12 season strong with a 4-1 record, including wins over American Collegiate Hockey Association ranked teams Central Oklahoma and Arizona.

The team opened the season at home on Oct. 1st and 2nd  with two blowouts, beating Lehigh 7-1 and following that up with a 10-1 romp over Villanova.

“We got the rust off of the skates, they were perfect games to get ready,” said head coach Chris Garafalo.

The next week, the team traveled to Springfield, Illinois to take part in the annual ACHA Division I showcase.

The showcase, which Garafalo described as “three of the biggest games of the season,” pitted Stony Brook against 3rd ranked Ohio University, 16th ranked Central Oklahoma and 23rd ranked Arizona.

The team struggled against Ohio on Friday and was out-shot 48-33 in a 5-0 loss. At the 14:12 mark of the third period, Stony Brook’s Sam Brewster and Ohio’s Duncan Green both got five minute majors for slashing as well as game misconducts.

“I felt that the score didn’t reflect how we played.” Garafolo said. “We outplayed them at even-strength, when we were shorthanded, we struggled.”

The team bounced back against Central Oklahoma on Saturday, winning 5-2.

Stony Brook scored the first four goals of the game. The goals came from Mike Cacciotti,  Brewster and Sean Collins, who scored twice.

The team faced Arizona the next morning in a tight, see-saw affair.

In a goal-filled second period, Arizona’s Scott Wilson scored early at the 18:01 mark to even the score, only to have Bryan Elfant  score at the 14:30 mark to put Stony Brook back up 2-1.

Arizona’s Andrew Murmes scored a power play goal at the 12:46 mark, with Wesley Hawkins  responding back at the 8:00 mark with a power play goal of his own.

In the third period, Eddie Montgomery  got the first two-goal lead of the game for Stony Brook at the 12:11 mark.

With 4:12 left in the game, Arizona made a push to tie, with Brady Lefforts scoring his team’s second power play goal of the game. Despite Arizona’s best efforts, Stony Brook’s Cassano sealed the game with an empty net goal with 23 seconds remaining.

Currently ranked 17th in the ACHA Division I rankings, Stony Brook will likely see a move up in the rankings.

“After watching the other teams at the showcase, I feel that this team absolutely is a championship contender,” Garafolo said.