Campus COVID-19 and influenza cases are on the decline

Students walking down the academic mall at Stony Brook University. Rates of COVID-19 and influenza cases are trending downward on campus as of Tuesday, Feb. 13. ANGELINA LIVIGNI/THE STATESMAN

Despite fluctuating rates of COVID-19 and influenza cases across New York in recent months, cases of these illnesses are consistently trending downward on campus. 

During the 2023-24 season, cases of COVID-19 and influenza in New York have been varying sporadically. Flu cases peaked at 325,837 on Dec. 30, 2023 and COVID-19 cases peaked at 8,412 on Jan. 2.  

Dr. Marisa Bisiani, Associate Vice President for Student Health, Wellness and Prevention Services and Chair of the Campus Public Health Advisory Team, spoke to The Statesman regarding the COVID-19 and influenza trends on campus. 

Bisiani disclosed that the cases of COVID-19 and influenza at Stony Brook are trending downward as of Feb. 13. 

Although cases on campus are trending downward, Bisiani placed an emphasis on students diligently implementing simple precautions into their everyday routines to help avoid the spread of the diseases. 

“We encourage vaccination. We provide education regarding frequent handwashing and cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as keyboards and door knobs. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are effective and convenient as well. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue, or your elbow when you cough or sneeze. Refrain from using your hands,” she said. “We encourage students to refrain from attending classes or campus activities if they [do not] feel … well. This also applies to all employees.”

Common symptoms of influenza may include but are not limited to:

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Vomiting or diarrhea

Common symptoms of COVID-19 may include but are not limited to:

• Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Recent loss of smell or taste

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, it is highly recommended that you visit your doctor or Student Health Services if you are living on campus.