Changing of the guard

With Micheal Coulter out for the season due to surgery on his left knee, quarterback Kyle Essington turned in a career performance in his first start for Stony Brook Saturday night against Presbyterian.

The junior went 17-27 for 292 yards, threw four touchdown passes and ran for one touchdown himself. He even managed to make Sportcenter’s Top 10, thanks to his 40-yard hail mary pass to wide receiver Matt Brevi at the end of the first half.

“The bye week was great,” Essington said last Wednesday. “We’re all on the same page now, I feel that we are better then ever.”

As Coulter’s back-up the last two seasons, Essington played sparingly, appearing in only eight games total and completing nine of 22 passes while being Coulter’s understudy.

“Since I first came here, he taught me the program, taught me the system and really helped me grow and become the quarterback that I am today,” said Essington. “It’s really been a blessing and an honor to play with a guy like Mike Coulter.”

Essington, who’s father was a quarterback at Colorado and was the final pick of the 1984 NFL draft, attributes his playing style to his hometown roots in California.

“I grew up with the west coast offense, the run and gun,” said Essington. “I really like all the plays we have, the bootlegs and the play actions, give me the choice to run or pass, which is a great strength which I can bring to the team.”

With the conference part of the season now underway, Essington feels confident despite his relative lack of game experience.

“Our team goal is to get that conference championship, and get that playoff birth that this school deserves,” said Essington. “I feel really confident and everyone believes in me, and we all believe in each other.”