Essington, Stony Brook roll in 42-24 win

In his first career game as the Seawolves starting quarterback, Kyle Essington (#15) went 17-27 for 292 yards and four touchdowns. Essington had only one career passing touchdowns at Stony Brook University entering Saturday's action. (Max Wei/ The Statesman).

It may have been his first Stony Brook career start, but quarterback Kyle Essington certainly didn’t show any sign of nerves.

Essington, starting for the first time inn place of injured starter Michael Coulter, had four passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown to lead the Seawolves to a dominating 42-24 victory over Presbyterian on Saturday night, the Big South Conference opener for both Stony Brook and Presbyterian.

“The receivers and I were all on the same page,” Essington said. “We really connected well tonight.”

Essington started for the first time in his career Saturday night, replacing the longtime starter Coulter, who will be undergoing season- and career-ending surgery for a torn ACL in his left knee this week.

Essington, who has been alternating the quarterback position with Coulter so far this season, proved he was ready to fit the role of starter.

Essington completed 17 of 27 passes for 292 yards.

His first passing touchdown was a 44-yarder to wide receiver Matt Brevi, giving Stony Brook a 14-3 lead.

Presbyterian’s running back, Michael Ruff, found room for an impressive 54-yard run at the beginning of the second quarter, giving his team its first touchdown of the game and cutting Stony Brook’s lead 14-10.

Brevi had suffered an injured shoulder in Stony Brook’s home opener against Brown, but it didn’t appear to hold him back. Brevi scored two touchdowns on 126 yards receiving. With no time left on the clock before halftime, Brevi leaped to catch a touchdown in the end zone for 40 yards giving Stony Brook a 21-10 lead coming into the third quarter — a play that ended up on SportsCenter’s Top Ten.

Ruff scored his second touchdown of the game after receiving a nine-yard pass from Presbyterian’s quarterback Brandon Miley with 12:35 left in the third.

Stony Brook answered back with a furious drive when running back Brock Jackolski made a 44-yard return followed by a 22-yard touchdown pass to Miguel Maysonet in the end zone.

“Everybody normally makes fun of my hands,” said Maysonet, a running back. “Kyle just put it up there and I went up and made my play.”

The leaping catch gave Stony Brook a 28-17 lead.

The third quarter was explosive for the Seawolves. Jackolski had a 1-yard touchdown drive, followed by an interception from defensive back Donald Porter. Shortly after, Essington passed to Kevin Norrell for a 42-yard touchdown.

There was only one touchdown scored in the fourth quarter, when Presbyterian’s  Ryan Singer passed to freshman wide receiver Jeremiah McKie for 23 yards.

Essington only had one passing touchdown coming into the game, but he managed to quadruple that against Presbyterian.

“We were able to throw the ball efficiently,” said Coach Chuck Priore. “We’re getting better and that’s what our goal is.”

One thing lacking in this week’s game was Stony Brook’s normally potent running attack. The combination of Maysonet and Jackolski has been  nearly unstoppable all season averaging 225.2 rushing yards per game, good for first in the Big South. This week, the duo was held in check, only rushing for 172 yards on 34 carries.

The Seawolves will try to make it three wins in a row on Saturday night against Saint Anselm at LaValle Stadium at 6 p.m.