Grammy Award winner LeAnn Rimes graces the Staller Main Stage

Country singer LeAnn Rimes performing at Staller’s Main Stage on Saturday Nov. 18. The show touched the hearts of many of the guests who attended the concert. ADRIENNE ESPOSITO/THE STATESMAN

On Nov. 18, iconic country singer LeAnn Rimes performed for a packed house on the Staller Center’s main stage. Rimes won her first Grammy Award at age 14 and remains the youngest Grammy winner to date. 

Throughout the performance, Rimes shared stories about being a child star and becoming a stepmother in addition to serenading the audience with her incredible vocals and piano playing skills.

As she stepped on stage, the barefooted Rimes donned a Bohemian floral dress in earthy tones. The setting felt deeply intimate, allowing her to share personal narratives with the audience regarding her musical influences, experiences and the love she possesses for her fans. Rimes also discussed how she enjoys captivating audiences and evoking heartfelt emotion, making the evening memorable and emotionally impactful for the audience.

Rimes visited the Staller Center as part of her “the story… so far tour,” its title indicating that she intends to keep making music beyond her current catalog. The tour covers music spanning across her nearly 30-year-old illustrious career. 

She performed two of her biggest hits, titled “How Do I Live” and “Can’t Fight The Moonlight.” Rimes was 14 when she recorded the former; it peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in America and charted for 69 weeks. The latter achieved international success, reaching the No. 1 spot on the U.K. Official Singles Chart. It peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in America and spent 42 weeks on the chart. 

Rimes’s “Can’t Fight The Moonlight” and “The Right Kind of Wrong” were also featured on the soundtrack for the 2000 film “Coyote Ugly.”

Other performance highlights included the title track off her latest album, “god’s work,” and a cover of Elvis Presley’s “Blue Christmas,” which added a festive flair to the concert. Rimes shared that creating the “god’s work” album was different because production began in 2020 and took longer to finish since the collaborators had to work remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions. When making the album — and throughout her entire career — she was heavily influenced by the work of American singer Patsy Cline; Rimes also covered Cline’s song “Crazy” at the concert.

Overall, the show was incredibly breathtaking, transporting the audience to another dimension. At one point, a fan yelled “I love you,” to which Rimes responded “I love you too” — showing how grateful she is for her fanbase. The audience could feel the emotion in her vocals and hear the true breadth of her talents. 

The live band perfectly complemented her vocals. She introduced the band during “Can’t Fight The Moonlight” and later provided an opportunity for the audience to sing karaoke during the song.

Rimes closed the show by singing “there will be a better day,” acknowledging the turmoil in the Middle East due to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict while expressing gratitude for the chance to perform in a safe environment. She stated that she truly believes in the song’s message that better days lie ahead, and encouraged the audience to find and create joy in the world’s darkness. Rightfully receiving a standing ovation, Rimes’s show was a memorable and inspirational night full of connection, laughs, enchanting tales and, of course, amazing music.