The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

81° Stony Brook, NY
The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman

The Student News Site of Stony Brook University

The Statesman


Smith’s first career goal wins midweek match for Stony Brook men’s soccer

Midfielder Kyle Smith (right) passes the ball to forward Caleb Danquah (left) against Temple on Tuesday, Oct. 17. Smith scored his first career goal to win the match. GEORGE CARATZAS/THE STATESMAN

By putting up its highest shot total against an NCAA Division I team this year, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team was able to pull off a comeback.

The Seawolves (6-3-4, 4-0-2 CAA) came from behind to beat the Temple Owls (2-6-4, 1-2-2 AAC) 2-1 on Tuesday night at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. Stony Brook pressed the Temple’s backline for 19 shots and eight on goal, two of which snuck through to give it the victory.

Despite 10 shots by the Seawolves in the first half, the game was scoreless by halftime. In the 64th minute, the Owls broke the ice off a costly mistake. Coming off a turnover by midfielder Alex Fléury, Temple midfielder Felix Ewald carried the ball to the doorstep of the box, where he finished on the opportunity. He ripped it to the bottom left corner of the net, past the diving and outstretched arms of goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser.

The tide then flipped in the 72nd minute after a contentious handball call that occurred following a dangerous cross into the Owls’ box. Midfielder Trevor Harrison effortlessly placed his shot in the bottom left corner, past Temple goalkeeper Riley Flannan to level the score at one apiece.

Just over three minutes later, midfielder Lorenzo Selini stepped up to take a corner kick and sent a dangerous cross towards Temple’s six-yard box. Selini’s cross met midfielder Kyle Smith, who was able to head the ball into the net for the first goal of his NCAA career. Stony Brook’s defense locked down the Owls’ attack afterwards, holding them without a shot on target for the final 15:17 to win the match.

Smith had not played in six weeks after suffering an injury at George Washington on Sept. 5. He was thrilled to play the hero role for Tuesday’s game.

“It feels great,” Smith said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “It was a great team effort … that’s what our family is about.”

Overall, the Seawolves outshot Temple 19-14. They landed eight of their shots on target, which was double the Owls’ number. Harrison led the team with four shots and landed two on goal. Forwards Moses Bakabulindi and Caleb Danquah each took three shots. Bakabulindi landed two shots on target to co-lead the team.

Forward Finlay Oliver and midfielder Amit Magoz each landed one shot on target.

In net, Kaiser finished with three saves. Opposite him, Flannan made six stops.

After another close win, head coach Ryan Anatol commended his team for continuing to show resilience.

“The team we beat tonight just came off winning against the defending national champions,” Anatol said “There’s no easy games in college soccer, and every game has been a battle.”

Stony Brook will remain at home and return to conference action on Friday against the Monmouth Hawks. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monmouth is 6-3-4 this season and 3-1-2 in conference play after beating Northeastern 2-1 last Saturday.

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Statesman

Your donation will support the student journalists of Stony Brook University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to The Statesman

Comments (0)

All The Statesman Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *