Louis Knight on music, mental health and self-discovery

Singer-songwriter Louis Knight playing his guitar at a show in Brighton. Knight was one of the top seven finalists on the 18th season of “American Idol.” PHOTO COURTESY OF LOUIS KNIGHT

Louis Knight stepped onto the stage of the 18th season of the widely televised singing competition “American Idol” in 2020. With being publicly recognized by his hometown Philadelphia, his Instagram account gaining notable traction and even becoming verified on social media, Knight’s dreams were seemingly within reach. But what happens when the applause fades, and the spotlight dims?

After finishing as one of the top seven finalists in the competition, everything stopped as Knight entered the music industry at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. “It’s the small victories — that’s what it’s about for me, that’s how I live and there’s no stopping,” Knight said in an interview with The Statesman, sharing his perspective on life after going through both the highs and lows.

Born in London and having lived in Philadelphia for 12 years, the 23-year-old singer-songwriter explores themes beyond romance and loss, delving into his personal struggles with mental health all while navigating what it feels like to come off “American Idol.” 

He released his first extended play, “Small Victories,” in 2018. Shortly after, Knight received an Instagram direct message from “American Idol” producers about the possibility of him auditioning for an upcoming season of the show. At first, he was concerned about public perceptions regarding singing competitions, but when he discovered contestants were allowed to sing original songs, he chose one close to his heart.

After his brother’s best friend, Russell Thomas Peck, committed suicide at the age of 20 in 2018, Knight released his hit single “Change” the following year. Serving as his audition piece for “American Idol,” “Change” compelled Knight to discuss the importances of suicide prevention and mental health awareness. Nevertheless, the influx of messages from fans on social media left him grappling with an immense emotional weight from the responsibility of discussing difficult topics.

“That was all I was talking about for so long and it kind of made me want to back away a little bit from [discussing suicide and mental health],” Knight said, admitting his struggles to be vulnerable and find balance. “Whatever truth you have to tell, it’s always important that you [share it], especially when writing music. With ‘Change,’ I was just finally chipping away after being in a place where I wasn’t comfortable being so vulnerable again.”

The transition from the intensity of performing on national television to the silence after the applause dwindled was a challenging experience for Knight. It coincided with his own emotional challenges, as Knight said he was “very branded by that situation and that topic.”

“For a long time after the show, I felt like every song I had to write had to be as good as that in my mind and had to [match the] level of vulnerability in a song [like ‘Change’],” Knight said. “And it was hard to get to that place.”

Knight moved across the country to California with his former girlfriend and continued experimenting with his musical sound while collaborating with new writers and producers. Currently, he is traveling between Los Angeles, London and Philadelphia. After losing his entertainment management team for undisclosed reasons, he has faced the challenges of being an independent artist breaking into the Los Angeles and London music scenes. To survive as a music artist, he also works a part-time job.

However, Knight shared his desire to be more outspoken, vulnerable and honest through his upcoming wave of songs. Both lyrically and sonically, he plans to experiment with his musical production, delving into rock and 1980s pop sounds. Fans can look forward to hearing these new sounds in upcoming releases.

“I just really like the ones when you just keep chipping away until you kind of hit that spot where it’s just full honesty, and you know, the ugliness and the stuff you might be afraid to share,” Knight said. “It’s the stuff that I was afraid to put into a song.”

He intends to release at least two more singles this year, one being titled “That Wasn’t Love.” They will be followed by a steady distribution of songs, released every four to seven weeks in 2024. Through these new tracks, he plans to share his journey of breaking into the music industry as a young man.

Knight is candid about his mental struggles, acknowledging occasions where he felt overwhelming amounts of self-doubt and uncertainty clouding his mind both during and after his time on “American Idol.” Grappling with his anxiety and bouts of depression played crucial roles in his personal and creative development, ultimately allowing him to grow as an artist.

It’s through these experiences that Knight has grown and emerged with a renewed sense of authenticity and vulnerability in his music. Rather than dwell on the negative aspects of life, he encourages fans to embrace the positives, with the hope that everyone can also find a similar internal balance.

“Whatever it is that drives you, whatever it is, just keep on going,” Knight said. “Because when we get to where we want to go, or there’s moments that remind us, or feel like we’re where we want to be, those are the best moments. That’s the best feeling in the world.”