Stony Brook women’s volleyball to face tough test versus Delaware

Pin hitter Ava Jackson (foreground) tosses the ball up to serve it against North Carolina A&T on Saturday, Sept. 30. Jackson is one of seven Stony Brook women’s volleyball players with 10 or more service aces this year. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

Riding a six-game winning streak, the Stony Brook’s women’s volleyball team will face its toughest challenge yet.

The Seawolves (10-9, 5-3 CAA) are back home at Pritchard Gymnasium this weekend to take on the Delaware Blue Hens (12-4, 5-3 CAA) for an important two-match series. Both teams are looking to break the five-way tie for third place in the Coastal Athletic Association (CAA) and ascend through the standings. The first match is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Saturday and the second is set for 1 p.m. on Sunday.

This weekend figures to be a high-scoring one, as it will feature two of the top-four scoring offenses in the CAA. Delaware ranks third in the conference with 16.90 points per set, while Stony Brook narrowly trails it in fourth place with 16.74.

The Seawolves’ offense is led by the aggressive tandem of outside hitters Kali Moore and Leoni Kunz. Moore is fifth in the CAA in kills per set (3.35) and fourth in points per set (3.94). Kunz is ninth in the CAA in kills per set (2.97) and 10th in points per set (3.40). Outside hitter Abby Stanwood’s sophomore breakout has continued, as she has become the team’s fourth-leading scorer with 2.70 points per set. As a team, they rank fourth in the CAA with 13.06 kills per set.

Stony Brook has played more efficiently of late, raising its collective hitting percentage to .215, which ranks sixth in the conference. Middle blocker Abby Campbell has been the most efficient Seawolf on attacks, as she ranks sixth in the CAA with a .352 hitting percentage. Campbell is also the team’s third-leading scorer with 2.72 points per set. Kunz has been very efficient for an outside hitter, as she has posted a .288 hitting percentage.

Setter Torri Henry may very well be the best player at her position in the conference. She leads the conference with exactly 11 assists per set. Along with her offensive prowess, she has recorded 10 total double-doubles between assists and digs. Her performance last weekend at Hampton earned her CAA Offensive Player of the Week.

Stony Brook is deadly from the service line, as it ranks second in the CAA in service aces per set (2.10). The Seawolves have an efficient rotation of servers — seven of which have recorded a double-digit number of aces. Henry leads the team and is third in the conference with 32 aces, and Moore is tied for fifth with 26. Libero Julia Patsos has served 24 aces, followed by outside hitter Lauren Schmitz’s 15 and defensive specialist Madison Cigna’s 13. Campbell (12) and pin hitter Ava Jackson (11) round out the group.

The Blue Hens are a similar offensive team to Stony Brook. Delaware is third in the CAA hitting percentage (.254) and aces per set (1.81). It also ranks sixth in the conference in kills per set (12.70).

Outside hitter Lani Mason leads the team and is second in the conference with 4.08 points per set. Mason is tied with Moore for fifth in the conference with 26 aces. Middle blocker Kirah Johnson is a big contributor, as she has the second-most points on the team and is third in the CAA with a .401 hitting percentage. Outside hitter Savannah Seemans is second in the conference with 36 aces and third on the team with 3.13 points per set. Outside hitter Madelyn Grunza is the team’s fourth-leading scorer with 2.60 points per set on a .267 hitting percentage.

Setter Ezgi Basaranlar will rival Henry this weekend while facilitating Delaware’s offense. Her 9.56 assists per set are the third-most in the CAA.

The Seawolves’ offense has a tough outing against the Blue Hens defense. Delaware is fifth in opponents kills per set (11.83) and sixth in opponents hitting percentage (.207) in the CAA. The Blue Hens might cool off Stony Brook’s deadly serving game as Delaware allows the second fewest service aces by their opponents (1.16). However, the Seawolves can run away with the scoreboard as the Blue Hens allow the second most digs per set by their opponents (12.75) as well as ninth in the conference in opponents blocks per set (1.77).

Stony Brook’s defense will be tasked with slowing down Delaware’s offense. It has been mediocre this year, but the team does rank third in the CAA in digs per set (15.74). Much of that can be attributed to Patsos, who has the second most digs per set in the conference (4.22). Moore (2.71) and Henry (2.53) are also heavily involved. The team also ranks fourth in opponents hitting percentage at .203.

However, the Seawolves have the second-fewest blocks per set (1.60) in the CAA. Kunz leads them with 44 total blocks (four solo and 40 assists). Campbell narrowly trails her with 43 total blocks (two solo and 41 assists).

As for the Blue Hens, they are second in blocks per set with 2.40. Johnson leads them with 65 total blocks (one solo and 64 assists) and ranks sixth in the CAA with 1.03 blocks per set. Fellow middle blocker Asia Murray narrowly trails her with 64 total blocks (three solo and 61 assists) and is second in the conference with 1.33 blocks per set. Basaranlar has stuffed 48 attacks (one solo and 47 assists) at the net, while Grunza has blocked 40 (one solo and 39 assists). Their strong performance at the net has handed them a .207 opponents hit percentage, which ranks sixth in the CAA.

As a team, Delaware ranks sixth with 14.08 digs per set. Libero Eileen Gex leads the team with 231 digs. She is fourth in the conference in digs per set (3.67).

Both defenses are strong with their reception, as well. Delaware surrenders the second-fewest aces per set (1.16) in the conference while Stony Brook allows the fourth-fewest (1.26).

After feasting on two of the worst teams in the CAA over the previous two weekends, the Seawolves have a chance to make a real statement against the Blue Hens.