Stony Brook football’s next game at Morgan State canceled due to mass shooting

Several Stony Brook football players celebrate an interception by free safety Jalen Hoyle (18) against Richmond on Saturday, Sept. 23. The Seawolves’ next game against Morgan State University has been canceled due to a mass shooting from Tuesday, Oct. 2. STANLEY ZHENG/THE STATESMAN

After five people were shot at a homecoming event at Morgan State University in Baltimore on Tuesday night, the institution announced the cancellation of its homecoming football game against Stony Brook on Wednesday evening.

The game was originally scheduled to kick off on Saturday at 1 p.m. However, it will no longer be played at all this year, giving both teams the week off. Officials have confirmed launching a manhunt in search of the shooter, who has still not been caught as of Wednesday night.

Commissioner of the Baltimore Police Department Richard Worley said in a news briefing that there were multiple people armed at the event and that none of the five victims were intended targets. Instead, the Baltimore Police believe the shooting arose from a dispute between two small groups, and that the victims were shot accidentally.

“One individual was a target of two individuals who had weapons,” Worley said. “We don’t believe that individual was hit. We believe the five victims who were struck were unintended targets.”

Morgan State President David Wilson announced Wednesday that classes will be canceled for the rest of the week. The school’s homecoming events for the rest of the week were also canceled or postponed until the shooter (or shooters) is caught.

Four of the five victims were male, while the other was female. Four of those who were shot are students at Morgan State. One has already been released from the hospital.

This is the Seawolves’ (0-5, 0-4 CAA) first canceled game since the 2020-21 season, when their final two scheduled games were opted out of by their opponents due to COVID-19. Their next game will now be Saturday, Oct. 14 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium against the Fordham Rams (3-2, 0-1 Patriot). Opening kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. As for Morgan State, the Bears’ (1-4) next game will be at home against the North Carolina Central Eagles (4-1) on Thursday, Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m.