Health Science Library’s new reticent study area

The interior of the Health Sciences new library located in tower two of the Health Sciences Center. The study area is open 24 hours a day that provides a peaceful and distraction-free work environment. XINGLING YU/THE STATESMAN

On Monday, Aug. 28, the Health Science Library (HSL), known for being open 24 hours a day, unveiled a new study area. 

The study area is specifically designed to cater to patrons who require a peaceful and distraction-free study or work environment. 

“I like that it is [open for] 24 hours and [is] a good place to study without any distractions,” Liza Pekurovsky, a graduate student pursuing a Physician Assistant degree, said.

The HSL is located in Tower 2 of the Health Sciences Center, near the Stony Brook University Hospital. To arrive at the entrance, students can take the Hospital/Chapin or Outer Loop bus at the Student Activities Center, get off at the Life Sciences stop and walk through the red underground bridge. 

“I think the new silent area is great because I do not need to be stopped every 30 minutes before closing, so instead, I can just stay in the silent area the whole day without being distracted,” Zack Li, a junior in the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program, said. “The only bad part about it [is there] is less cable charging [available], so first-come, first-serve for the seat next to the charger is the best. It is also tranquil, and [I] can escape distraction if I choose the seat next to the window; there is a great view to look at [the] trees and sky.”  

The newly expanded study area has two rows on the left, each with eight columns and five seats on either side — except for the last column which has only four seats. On the right side of the area is a row with eight seats and a ravishing view of the sun’s rays reflecting on the opposite end of the glass.

Amanda Lin, a freshman majoring in health science, said, “The HSL’s quiet study area makes it my favorite place to study, due to its privacy. I love how the divider on the desks fully blocks the view of other students, and I also find the atmosphere very alluring.” 

Overall, the atmosphere of the new study area is calm and reticent, with its comfortable seating, private study booths and subdued lighting.