SBU not part of new funding programs for students

The Stony Brook University sign located at the main entrance of campus. SUNY Chancellor John B. King Jr. has plans to implement two new programs to aide students in working towards graduation which Stony Brook is not participating in. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

SUNY colleges and universities have experienced a drop in enrollment rates by 6% in their four-year institutions within the last 10 years. A combination of reasons — including financial stress, mental health issues and a lack of access to resources — have led to this rapid decline. 

In an effort to prevent further decline, SUNY Chancellor John B. King Jr. has plans to implement two new programs — Accelerate, Complete, and Engage (ACE) and Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP). First implemented by CUNY schools, they will assist students in working toward graduation by providing more accessible resources. 

“The expansion at SUNY will support at least 3,750 students or inaugural cohorts of 150 students at each of the 25 participating campuses,” SUNY’s official press release said.

Stony Brook did not appear among the 25 listed participating campuses; at this time, the Office of Financial Aid has declined to comment, as the information about the future of this program is still unknown. 

ACE and ASAP supply students with resources for success, such as tuition waivers, free use of textbooks, transportation fees, personal advisors with monthly contacts and tutoring. 

Such resources come with certain requirements for students enrolled in these programs. Students must be full-time, and take developmental education courses immediately and continuously.