“Moving”: A supernatural K-drama with heart and empathy

The official TV show poster for Disney+’s “Moving.” “Moving” served as Disney+’s tentpole show, expecting to bring in more viewers and revenue in their push to expand to pan-Asian audiences. PUBLIC DOMAIN

This review contains spoilers.

The star-studded, supernatural Korean drama “Moving” finished its 20-episode first season with unexpected messages of support and empathy. Based on writer Kang Full’s webtoon of the same name, the Disney+ original series aired globally from Aug. 9 to Sept. 20 and also aired on Hulu in the United States. With an estimated budget of $40 million, the show served as Disney+’s tentpole show, expecting to bring in more viewers and revenue in their push to expand to pan-Asian audiences. This endeavor seems successful as it became the most-watched series on Disney+ in several Asian countries a week after its release. 

The series follows multi-generational families who possess supernatural powers. It weaves between two timelines: three teenagers finishing their final semester at Jeongwon High School in the present and their parents working for the National Intelligence Service (NIS) during the 1990s. Although the characters in the present lead ordinary lives and try to keep their powers hidden, an assassin for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) ruthlessly follows orders to systematically eliminate former NIS agents. 

Led by household names from the Korean entertainment industry and supported by a higher budget, the highly anticipated series did not disappoint. Despite having his other webtoons adapted for the screen, “Moving” is the first time Full wrote on one of his adapted screenplays. He said in an interview with The Korea Times that the series makes changes to the original story, such as the addition of more supernatural characters that the webtoon failed to include. 

Complementing the script, the creative directorial style of “Moving” director Park In-je often incorporates unique angles, thematic color grades and clever transitions that give the series an elevated cinematic quality. 

The first episode opens with a breathtakingly vivid scene of Bong-seok, played by Lee Jung-ha, falling from the sky. He wakes up from this recurring dream to the wafting smell of donkatsu, deep-fried pork cutlets, prepared by his mother Mi-hyun who is played by Han Hyo-joo. Shown in his unusual before-school morning routine, the audience is subtly introduced to Bong-seok’s supernaturally enhanced senses and floating abilities.

Initially, Bong-seok’s uncontrollable floating appears as a harmless ability. Nevertheless, his mother takes preventative measures to hide it, fully aware of the potential dangers and violent encounters often posed to those with supernatural skills. 

Despite being an action-packed show, it depicts everyday routines to make the characters feel relatable and ordinary. The repetitiveness of day-to-day life appears in scenes such as Bong-seok greeting his bus driver Gye-do on his way to school, who is played by Cha Tae-hyun, as well as his father waiting outside his house for his son to come home at the same time every evening. These routines give the plot a sense of rhythm, making it more apparent when something unusual occurs.

The heart of the show is rooted in the profound theme of empathy. In episode two, “Booyang: Family Support, Levitation,” Mi-hyun imparts to a young Bong-seok important truths that genuine power comes from empathy, and also that superheroes have compassion. These lessons echo throughout the show, particularly through the portrayals of supportive parents who utilize their supernatural powers only to protect their children from harm. The familial relationships depict the importance of reciprocating mutual support, with the children empathizing with their parents’ struggles and cheering them on. 

Beyond family dynamics, ordinary characters such as the teenagers’ homeroom teacher, played by Kim Hee-won, acted courageously to protect his students in defense of adversity. Despite his NIS order to merely pose as a teacher to monitor the students with supernatural abilities, the homeroom teacher fills the shoes of a real teacher in his selflessness and dedication to the students’ futures and safety. These healthy and strong depictions of the everyday adult add to the series’ focus on the interpersonal connections between the characters. 

The show also stands out for humanizing its antagonists. The CIA-hired assassin and North Korean soldiers who try to eliminate former NIS agents are shown as victims of their leaderships’ brutal training and strict orders. Much like their South Korean counterparts, the North Korean soldiers have goals of prioritizing their families’ safety. They do not want to unnecessarily harm their enemies, which is a quality rarely granted to antagonists. 

Despite the action-packed scenes and supernatural abilities that give the series a unique superhero flair, the series’ strength lies within its captivating characters and stories that have elevated it to being a well-developed adaptation. After expanding the series beyond the webtoon’s content, Full hints at the possibility of a second season. With unanswered questions and new revelations, the season finale created an enticing cliffhanger that may progress the storyline. Hopefully, like the first season, the show will continue to explore everyday routines, familial relationships, Mi-hyun’s distinctive definition of superheroes and the power of empathy.